Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

How to get in a university in America

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm currently in year 11 but I really want to go to a college in America, but I don't really know where to start with the process or if I should even start looking yet. Can anybody help me by telling me the process of applying to a college.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I'm in year 13, i'll be taking SATs this year and will be applying during my gap year. Things change from school to school but usually two SAT subjects and a choice between SAT reasoning test and ACTs. Find out which schools you like and look through their requirements for international students. Do you have anywhere specific in mind?

ReputationRep:
    http://www.fulbright.org.uk/ is a fantastic resource for US university applications for a UK student and a great starting point. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i'm an American arudent applying here and a few other countries (UK, Netherlands,Canada,and Australia).
    You should probably get started on researching colleges. I started looking years ago and there are thousands of schools in the US. I suggest you use the website collegeboard to look up schools. The first thing you should do is decide exactly where you want to go. East Coast or West Coast? Which State? For example if you're interested in going to school in California, you can choose between CSU (California State Universities) UC (University of California) and private universities like University of Southern California.
    Try looking at non big name schools. Most people that I see want to apply to the US want to go to an Ivy League, which isnt the most practical thing to choose.
    Also, you should choose Reach, Match, and Safety schools. A school you aspire to, likely to get in, and schools for just in case.
    Tuition..Tuition will be expensive especially for an international student.Tuition varies but expect over $25,000.
    Test Scores.. I think some schools will have entry requirements for int'l students. So you may be able to use your A levels instead of having to take the SAT/ACT.
    Keep in mind application deadlines are usually between November and December.
    I'm probably sending in my UCAS application this week. My other ones are mostly completed too.
    Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    Not really I was thinking of a college along the east coast, maybe somewhere like Boston college

ReputationRep:
    Thanks

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.