Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Im Having trouble choosing a uni course. The main problem is the things im interested in are things such as Phychology, Music or Media but ive been told that these sublects dont have good career prospects/to many people do them.

Is this the truth ? Is a degree in phychology looked upon poorly by employers?

Any help greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Think about what sort of career you want to persue. Any sort of psychology-related degree is obviously going to accept psychology students.

Although to be fair I don't think any of those subjects are particulary employable subjects.

ReputationRep:
    What are the most employable subjects?

ReputationRep:
    I would love to know that too!!

I know a girl who has graduated and is a qualified nurse, but she doesnt have a job.
    I know a boy with a degree in some sort of computer thing and he cant find a job.
    Midwives find it hard to become employed, as do primary school teachers.
    Its becoming harder to get a start at a law firm.

I dont think there is any degree that guarantees you a job.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think the course itself has poor employment prospects, but because it is very popular there are a lot of applicants for jobs which favour psychology degrees. The same thing goes for media.

However, whilst jobs in these particular fields will be harder to come by, jobs which simply favour graduates regardless of the course shouldn't be disinclined to accept you.

I'd do music anyway, it's more fun. Not really sure where music graduates go career-wise though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Click11)
    Hi,

Im Having trouble choosing a uni course. The main problem is the things im interested in are things such as Phychology, Music or Media but ive been told that these sublects dont have good career prospects/to many people do them.

Is this the truth ? Is a degree in phychology looked upon poorly by employers?

Any help greatly appreciated.
    If you enjoy psychology then go for it. A psychology degree is useful if you want to be a um...

Psychiatrist.
    Counsellor.
    Forensics.
    Teacher.
    Probably many others I can't think of, and it'll be useful for marketing related jobs since psychology will help you understand how people think.

ReputationRep:
    What are the most employable subjects?
    At a guess, I'd say Maths (all financial jobs / investing). Business (transferable skills). Not sure what else though. Engineering is probably a good one, but for work that requires it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by devilsthorn)
    If you enjoy psychology then go for it. A psychology degree is useful if you want to be a um...

Psychiatrist.
    You need a medical degree to be a psychiatrist.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replys

How much does having a degree improve chances of employment and higher earning potential. People tell me its better to just get a job and work "up the ladder"

However im not sure how true this is.

Any opinions?

What are your AS/A Level grades?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replys

How much does having a degree improve chances of employment and higher earning potential. People tell me its better to just get a job and work "up the ladder"

However im not sure how true this is.

Any opinions?
    I graduated with a psychology degree this year and must say, it's not difficult to find work. I went to the job centre with a friend, as I'm working as a private tutor, and out of interest, asked what a psych grad would be able to do and the possibilities were endless.

Employers know that psychology BSc courses include extensive research metods and statistics, an understanding of behaviour, excellent IT skills and writing skills and lots of experience writing reports as well as a good knowledge of biology and biochemistry etc. In effect you have got a degree that incorporate the most important parts of science, maths and english...as well as psychology!

I've been looking for basic research assistant jobs which have starting salaries of between £25k and £32k a year. My friend who also graduated with me is now working in an accounting company on £35k starting salary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tainturier)
    In effect you have got a degree that incorporate the most important parts of science, maths and english
    Don't fool yourself with that one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DoubleThePrice)
    Don't fool yourself with that one.
    I don't need to, I've been offered jobs for embryonic research assistants, accountancy and journalism among others, based on a first class psychology degree.

ReputationRep:
    I was always under the impression that psychology is bad for employability in terms of becoming an actual psychologist? Mainly because of fierce competition, what with so many psychology graduates being churned out each year, but also because I am told that many psychology courses are not properly approved by a governing body of which I have forgotten the name.

I could be wrong, but that is the impression I have got from random chats with psychology students over a few pints. I'd also like to point out that I don't doubt there are numerous over excellent jobs a psychology degree may make you suitable for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nikk)
    I was always under the impression that psychology is bad for employability in terms of becoming an actual psychologist? Mainly because of fierce competition, what with so many psychology graduates being churned out each year, but also because I am told that many psychology courses are not properly approved by a governing body of which I have forgotten the name.
    The British Psychological Society....forgot to mention that Click, make sure you get a BPS accredited course!

ReputationRep:
    I've heard various people go on about how employable music graduates are actually, owing to the range of skills you develop- hope so, I'm doing music. Don't know about the others, sorry.

ReputationRep:
    Is a degree in phychology looked upon poorly by employers?
    Yes.
    Unless you go to Oxbridge or Imperial.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by acolyte)
    Yes.
    Unless you go to Oxbridge or Imperial.
    I didn't think Imperial have a Psychology course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tainturier)
    I didn't think Imperial have a Psychology course?
    That's why it's so impressive if you manage to get a Psychology degree from there.

ReputationRep:
    I think its ridiculos for acolyte to say that, surely a Bsc in Psychology from Bristol would be rated highly, especially if you obtain a first or even a 2:1.

Am I wrong? Are you saying that you will be in trouble in regards to employability if you obtain a 2:1 at Bristol or Warwick university, surely not!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.