Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    This is most likely an often asked question, but does the University of Cambridge prefer 3 or 4 A Levels?

I know there are many other factors, but seeing as AS Levels are being reformed, would I be at a disadvantage if I applied with only 3 A2s when presumably many other candidates will be applying with 4 next year?

ReputationRep:
    Hi there. I don't think it really matters tbh. If the university specifically says you need 4 subjects then yes it does matter. But if they say they only want 3 then doing a 4th subject does not give you any advantage. All they need is 3 grades (A*AA or whatever they ask). I think that is hard enough to get so I would not add extra pressure by doing an extra A-level

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mj1dan2014)
    Hi there. I don't think it really matters tbh. If the university specifically says you need 4 subjects then yes it does matter. But if they say they only want 3 then doing a 4th subject does not give you any advantage. All they need is 3 grades (A*AA or whatever they ask). I think that is hard enough to get so I would not add extra pressure by doing an extra A-level

Posted from TSR Mobile
    thank you so much!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asleep)
    This is most likely an often asked question, but does the University of Cambridge prefer 3 or 4 A Levels?

I know there are many other factors, but seeing as AS Levels are being reformed, would I be at a disadvantage if I applied with only 3 A2s when presumably many other candidates will be applying with 4 next year?
    Quality not quantity for Cambridge (and anywhere for that matter)

Having "only" 3 is absolutely fine, and increasingly common due to the A-level reforms.

What course are you considering?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asleep)

Yes, it's been asked about 10,000 times - a search will reveal just how many.

The standard offer is 3 A levels. You are at no advantage doing 4.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)

Having "only" 3 is absolutely fine, and increasingly common due to the A-level reforms.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    And remember A*AA (arts) or A*A*A (sciences) is better at Cambridge than AAAA. Good luck with everything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you! I am considering applying for the English course. I am taking English Lit, French, Geo and Bio for A Level and currently the workload is manageable, but I am finding French the hardest, however a modern language is the only subject which some of the colleges have stated is useful for the English course so I am not sure if that would be the logical option to drop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    Yes, it's been asked about 10,000 times - a search will reveal just how many.

The standard offer is 3 A levels. You are at no advantage doing 4.
    thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 210555)
    And remember A*AA (arts) or A*A*A (sciences) is better at Cambridge than AAAA. Good luck with everything.
    you too!

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.