The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Arts and Humanities Foundation Year

Hi I'm applying for the arts and humanities foundation year and i have a couple of questions for current/past students who have done this course

-what do you need to do to get an unconditional offer?
-how much work do you you do over the course of the year?
-is it worth it?
-how much free time do you get and if you were to get a job how many hours would you be able to work?
-when do you start the course?
-how many other people do the foundation year?
-how are you assessed throughout the year?
-how many optional modules are you allowed to do?

thank you :biggrin:
As far as I know a pass in the foundation year means that you can move onto the course of your choice.
Sadly can't help with the others, apart from point if you're struggling to get into a UG course they are an option to progress
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Original post by lhazel12
Hi I'm applying for the arts and humanities foundation year and i have a couple of questions for current/past students who have done this course

-what do you need to do to get an unconditional offer?
-how much work do you you do over the course of the year?
-is it worth it?
-how much free time do you get and if you were to get a job how many hours would you be able to work?
-when do you start the course?
-how many other people do the foundation year?
-how are you assessed throughout the year?
-how many optional modules are you allowed to do?

thank you :biggrin:

Helloo
I'm currently on the arts and humanities foundation year

- My grades were BEE and I got an unconditional offer after my interview so I think they do it on a case to case basis
- so far the actually work load in regards to handing stuff in hasn't been too heavy, but there's a lot of reading to do so be prepared
- is it worth it? Yes.
- my timetable is currently between 9 and 12 hours per week. If you're lucky you'll have a timetable with an empty day (I wasnt that lucky but it depends on what your optional module is)
So you'll have plenty of free time to get a job just make sure you can keep up with the reading
- this year we started lectures on 19th September
- I think on the arts and humanities there's maybe 60-80? I don't really know for sure because obviously not everyone turns up to everything. There's also other foundation years where some modules overlap
- you will start with formative assessments, which are not towards your grade, more to check your progress. Then summative assessments in the means of essays and presentations
- I think just the one however I'm sure you can ask about doing more if you can assure then you can keep up. In my interview when I asked about doing an extra, I was told it could be a possibility but one of them you wouldn't be assessed on. So one optional one you'd be graded but one you wouldn't

Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by supercalafer
Helloo
I'm currently on the arts and humanities foundation year

- My grades were BEE and I got an unconditional offer after my interview so I think they do it on a case to case basis
- so far the actually work load in regards to handing stuff in hasn't been too heavy, but there's a lot of reading to do so be prepared
- is it worth it? Yes.
- my timetable is currently between 9 and 12 hours per week. If you're lucky you'll have a timetable with an empty day (I wasnt that lucky but it depends on what your optional module is)
So you'll have plenty of free time to get a job just make sure you can keep up with the reading
- this year we started lectures on 19th September
- I think on the arts and humanities there's maybe 60-80? I don't really know for sure because obviously not everyone turns up to everything. There's also other foundation years where some modules overlap
- you will start with formative assessments, which are not towards your grade, more to check your progress. Then summative assessments in the means of essays and presentations
- I think just the one however I'm sure you can ask about doing more if you can assure then you can keep up. In my interview when I asked about doing an extra, I was told it could be a possibility but one of them you wouldn't be assessed on. So one optional one you'd be graded but one you wouldn't

Hope that helps :smile:

thank you so much, that's helped a lot :smile:
Reply 4
Hi Ihazel, I am interested in this course. Did you get an offer yet? Hoping it's all going well for you.
Reply 5
Original post by MariK
Hi Ihazel, I am interested in this course. Did you get an offer yet? Hoping it's all going well for you.

yes I got an offer back in January :smile: it's conditional CCC and I went for an applicant day and the course looks really really good
Reply 6
Original post by lhazel12
yes I got an offer back in January :smile: it's conditional CCC and I went for an applicant day and the course looks really really good

Happy for you that you go your offer! :smile: May I ask what your predicted grades are? Also do you know if the course is very popular (as I would be a late entry or do it next year)? thanks
Reply 7
Original post by MariK
Happy for you that you go your offer! :smile: May I ask what your predicted grades are? Also do you know if the course is very popular (as I would be a late entry or do it next year)? thanks

My predicted grades are BBB. At the moment I don't think the course is too popular, but they did say that it is starting to get more popular and more people are applying each year, but it's not getting oversubscribed.
Reply 8
Thanks so much for the info. It's a pity they didn't give you an unconditional place with your predicted grades!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending