Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

is it normal to enjoy being mean?

ReputationRep:
    I don't really want to be mean but I can't help but insult people just for the sake of it, I find it really hilarious. As much as I hate Donald trumps policies I find the man's treatment of other candidates stupidly funny and model my behaviour off of him including my social media activity. I think people are too uptight and need taking down a peg once in a while, most of the time the people I insult deserve it anyway.

I also have an odd hatred of anyone who strikes me as nerdy, whenever I'm in lectures I always wonder how my lecturer would react if I started on him, I don't even know why I dislike academic people since I was by far the smartest person in my year. Is this type of behaviour normal or should I seek help?

ReputationRep:
    Err seek help?!

ReputationRep:
    No I don't think this is normal :/

ReputationRep:
    As long as you support the same as I do , it's normal
    Talent is the word that best describes it.

ReputationRep:
    Moved to mental health.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iEthan)
    Moved to mental health.
    I'd have moved it to the recycle bin myself, OP has form.

ReputationRep:
    Moved to mental health.
    A stamp of approval for our resident troll. High praise indeed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    A stamp of approval for our resident troll. High praise indeed
    Have to take everything at face value, sorry

ReputationRep:
    yes you're sadistic

(Original post by starfab)
    Err seek help?!
    Moved to mental health.

Well at least he has a diagnosis now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by intelligent con)
    I don't really want to be mean but I can't help but insult people just for the sake of it, I find it really hilarious. As much as I hate Donald trumps policies I find the man's treatment of other candidates stupidly funny and model my behaviour off of him including my social media activity. I think people are too uptight and need taking down a peg once in a while, most of the time the people I insult deserve it anyway.

I also have an odd hatred of anyone who strikes me as nerdy, whenever I'm in lectures I always wonder how my lecturer would react if I started on him, I don't even know why I dislike academic people since I was by far the smartest person in my year. Is this type of behaviour normal or should I seek help?
    I can see that some things can be both mean and funny. Like if you stapped somebody with a fish it would be mean, but at the same time somebody just got stapped with a fish. There is also a certian humour to irony. So yeah it's not totally crazy to find some bad things a bit funny at the same time. And sometimes it is normal to think somebody deserved something so it makes it less bad or maybe even some sort of justice.

The unusual part would be finding yourself deliberately being mean because you find it funny or finding the humour in bad things more prominant than the negative or find that you only see mean acts as funny. It possibly emplies a lack of empathy and not understanding or caring that your actions cause harm or upset to others. You appear to be close to this line based on what you have said here.

It seems to me that this is something you are not comfortable with and I would suggest that you see a therapist to get to the bottom of it. You can ask a doctor about therapy or seek it privately. You could also look into counselling, but I think therapy would be more appropriate for this type of issue. Also frankly people probably think you're an arse if you're mean to people often so you'd probably find you had a better social life if you got ontop of it.

ReputationRep:
    Most men have an element of sadism.

ReputationRep:
    ummm.idk...but that's not normal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by l'etranger)
    Most men have an element of sadism.
    I think you mean humans. There are no fundamental differences between the male and female brain.

ReputationRep:
    I think you should get help. It sounds like you have sadistic/ psychopathic tendencies.

Perhaps resenting "nerdy" people is your unconscious response to feeling threatened by the talent of others. Perhaps you feel compelled to put others down so that you feel superior.

The thought of upsetting or harming someone makes me and most people extremely uncomfortable. The fact the you fantasise/ relish about inflicting psychological pain on others is unhealthy and potentially dangerous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Tara~)
    I think you mean humans. There are no fundamental differences between the male and female brain.
    Lots of debate in this area. But with a quick google search, you will find that there are fundamental psychological and neurological differences between male and female brains.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...etween-genders

Perhaps you're subconsciously threatened by academic people but you seem to be too stubborn to allow that to become a part of you're awareness. Now in you're in some little cycle of always saying something horrible simply because one may not understand something as well as you and you can't tolerate that. Seek help yes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Put it this way if i met you in person and you tried that stuff on someone i would put you in a coffin. For your own safety I'd stop until someone else does the job for me lol.

ReputationRep:

No it's not normal to be mean. You're just plain ignorant, nasty and instead of indulging yourself here by posting about it so you can have a laugh at all these people diagnosing you, you need to get professional help. If you don't, one of these days you will meet your match and get what you deserve.
    Other than that, just grow up and stop being an attention seeker.

ReputationRep:
    Most people do to some extent lets be honest.

The fact you admit it makes you better than most.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: November 16, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How are you feeling about your exams so far?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.