Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Prime Minister's Questions

ReputationRep:
    Do you think stopping PMQs would make a significant difference to the accountability of the Prime Minister?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellie0497)
    Do you think stopping PMQs would make a significant difference to the accountability of the Prime Minister?
    Don't ask me exactly why, but I don't think any at all. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellie0497)
    Without PMQ I don't think we'll know whats going on.

ReputationRep:
    PMQs isn't even about accountability really - to think that the prime minister wouldn't ever talk or address a fellow MP is just hilariously untrue. it's just a spectacle, of course. it's all mostly scripted as well. the PM also knows in advance what their backbenchers are going to say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ckfeister)
    Without PMQ I don't think we'll know whats going on.
    Nothing particularly interesting or useful comes out of PMQs at the best of times. From a government accountability point of view, it is really only used by the opposition to make some headlines.

Requests for written information are probably more useful to MPs or requests based on the freedom of information act for Joe Public.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    Nothing particularly interesting or useful comes out of PMQs at the best of times. From a government accountability point of view, it is really only used by the opposition to make some headlines.

Requests for written information are probably more useful to MPs or requests based on the freedom of information act for Joe Public.
    It gets people into politics, something useful for them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleepysnooze)
    PMQs isn't even about accountability really - to think that the prime minister wouldn't ever talk or address a fellow MP is just hilariously untrue. it's just a spectacle, of course. it's all mostly scripted as well. the PM also knows in advance what their backbenchers are going to say.
    Agreed.

It's just a mixture of the PM not answering opposition questions while their backbenchers ask the PM to agree with them that 'everything is fantastic'.

ReputationRep:
    It gets people into politics, something useful for them.
    Perhaps. Personally I find all the ya-booing a real turnoff. Do I really want to see the people who decide the future of education, law and order and health in this country looking like a bunch of Y9 boys in the dinner queue at school?

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps. Personally I find all the ya-booing a real turnoff. Do I really want to see the people who decide the future of education, law and order and health in this country looking like a bunch of Y9 boys in the dinner queue at school?
    Thats what makes it interesting, I'd be a teacher going " Kids, this is what you call retards don't be like this and you'll succeed in life "

ReputationRep:
    Thats what makes it interesting, I'd be a teacher going " Kids, this is what you call retards don't be like this and you'll succeed in life "
    Agreed. But in reality those who act like this aren't sort of a bob or two. It is called privilege.

ReputationRep:
    Agreed. But in reality those who act like this aren't sort of a bob or two. It is called privilege.
    Democracy for ya, its all an illusion.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it would make a difference. It would be ridiculous is all other Cabinet ministers had to account for themselves before Parliament but the Prime Minister did not.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.