The Student Room Group

Should i do a maths degree?

I got an A* at GCSE and an A at A level maths but i haven't done further maths at A level. I done biology (grade A) and chemistry (grade C) at a level aswell and i had extenuating circumstances. I applied to do maths at university originally before deciding to change last minute to biochemistry which i am not enjoying now. I changed last minute because i didnt think i was good enough to do a maths degree and i have been extremely indecisive. should i do a maths degree and reapply next year?
Original post by Rihanna14
I got an A* at GCSE and an A at A level maths but i haven't done further maths at A level. I done biology (grade A) and chemistry (grade C) at a level aswell and i had extenuating circumstances. I applied to do maths at university originally before deciding to change last minute to biochemistry which i am not enjoying now. I changed last minute because i didnt think i was good enough to do a maths degree and i have been extremely indecisive. should i do a maths degree and reapply next year?

Think carefully before choosing maths though, it may not live up to your expectation. I study one and parts of it I don't really enjoy to be honest, though for me it's at the level where I put up with it to do the parts that I enjoy more as well as that there isn't really any other subject I'd be capable at. So have a look, read some introductory notes or whatever and see what studyng it is like - it may not be to your taste!

And if you do go through with it, I would suggest self teaching FP1-3 for your own benefit :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by SeanFM
Think carefully before choosing maths though, it may not live up to your expectation. I study one and parts of it I don't really enjoy to be honest, though for me it's at the level where I put up with it to do the parts that I enjoy more as well as that there isn't really any other subject I'd be capable at. So have a look, read some introductory notes or whatever and see what studyng it is like - it may not be to your taste!

And if you do go through with it, I would suggest self teaching FP1-3 for your own benefit :smile:

thanks for the reply! just wondering what parts do you not enjoy?
Reply 3
It might be helpful to consider what parts of your current degree you are not enjoying, and why you think doing maths instead would be any better. Bear in mind that re-starting a degree will cost you one year of tuition, rent, food and bills.
Original post by SeanFM

Would you mind extrapolating on what you are not enjoying?
Original post by Rihanna14
thanks for the reply! just wondering what parts do you not enjoy?

Original post by Athematica
Would you mind extrapolating on what you are not enjoying?

Algebra, Analysis... that's about it. In a maths degree I think the worst thing you can do is fall behind and stop caring because some of the content is boring, then it is game over...

I find that I don't really enjoy studying abstract things or having to combine a lot of memory and understanding to remember proofs etc but that's just because I'm lazy and maths isn't for lazy people.

Quick Reply

Latest