The Student Room Group

Could I go to Oxbridge?

I have A*A*A at A Level in English, Sociology and Media.

Now, I somewhat regret ever studying media as I'm aware that it is perceived as being a very soft subject. This aside, I know that Cambridge in particular may not be too adverse to that considering my subject choice of Sociology.

I would like to have a degree in sociology - a subject that I believe links quite well with my A Levels.

So, contextually (with my degree choice and A Level choices considered), do you think I'd have any chance at all of studying at either counter or Oxbridge?

Be as harsh as you need to be! Perhaps I am dreaming. In which case, please tell me. I never expected to even make an enquiry - I haven't been a top student throughout all of school... I just worked harder than ever in sixth form.
Reply 1
Original post by EddyEagal
I have A*A*A at A Level in English, Sociology and Media.

Now, I somewhat regret ever studying media as I'm aware that it is perceived as being a very soft subject. This aside, I know that Cambridge in particular may not be too adverse to that considering my subject choice of Sociology.

I would like to have a degree in sociology - a subject that I believe links quite well with my A Levels.

So, contextually (with my degree choice and A Level choices considered), do you think I'd have any chance at all of studying at either counter or Oxbridge?

Be as harsh as you need to be! Perhaps I am dreaming. In which case, please tell me. I never expected to even make an enquiry - I haven't been a top student throughout all of school... I just worked harder than ever in sixth form.

You've missed the Oxbridge deadline for this cycle.

And do you mean HSPS at Cambridge?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Reality Check
Media is not an acceptable A level for Oxbridge, but Sociology is acceptable for your course (e.g. HSPS). However, 2 A levels and a missed deadline means, I'm afraid, no Oxbridge application for at least this year.

Wellllll.... Media is ok. It's General Studies and Critical Thinking that are explicitly excluded.

Even Trinity will consider it for Arts.
https://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/applying/a-level-subject-combinations/

FOI request. 7 with Media Studies...
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/276668/response/677570/attach/2/FOI%202015%20182%20Adeosun%20response%20letter%20and%20data.pdf

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Wellllll.... Media is ok. It's General Studies and Critical Thinking that are explicitly excluded.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good god, so it is. And Film Studies. And Business Studies.

Trinity. I always knew it :smile:
Reply 4
Good god, so it is. And Film Studies. And Business Studies.

Trinity. I always knew it :smile:

See my edit :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You are, quite literally, the Oracle at Delphi.

What an interesting FOI request. In all but two cases, Media is accepted where the candidate offers 4A/AS. Shame the data don't differentiate between the two.

Very interestingly, an offer was made to a candidate offering Government and Politics, Environmental Science and Law. I would have immediately thought that such a subject combination, containing as it does no traditional 'academic' A levels, would immediately disqualify the applicant from a realistic chance of an offer. He must have interviewed marvellously!

There's also a candidate offering Classical Civ, Maths and Physics, i.e. only one Arts subject. Just goes to show what a wide range of subjects they'll accept.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
You are, quite literally, the Oracle at Delphi.

The Oracle at Google perhaps :smile:

Or even the mySQL at Google...

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're one of those people who can use Google very effectively to find what you're looking for. I am hopeless at it - give me a library and I can find a book or paper in a trice, but there's just something about searching online for stuff which somehow doesn't work. Practice and perseverance, but computers for me often get their lids slammed shut and sworn at. Poor things.
Reply 8
Original post by jneill
You've missed the Oxbridge deadline for this cycle.

And do you mean HSPS at Cambridge?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry I should have been clearer.

I know I have now missed the October deadline but am considering holding out for another year. I did want to go to university next year (I have a place at York for Political Science) but I had a conversation with an old teacher who really encoraged I consider Oxbridge.

HSPS, yes. I referred to it as sociology in reference to my A Level course but I am aware of the difference :smile:

Do I have a legitimate chance?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by EddyEagal
Sorry I should have been clearer.

I know I have now missed the October deadline but am considering holding out for another year. I did want to go to university next year (I have a place at York for Political Science) but I had a conversation with an old teacher who really encoraged I consider Oxbridge.

HSPS, yes. I referred to it as sociology in reference to my A Level course but I am aware of the difference :smile:

Do I have a legitimate chance?

I'd say yes you have a chance. It depends on everything, not just your subjects and grades (although they are important).

I suggest contacting a few colleges and asking their opinion... but not quite yet, they are busy finalising interviews etc for the current group of applicants. Probably February onwards would be best.

You can also ask one of the Cambridge ATs on TSR - they frequently host AMAs.

Also, York is an excellent university - so think carefully about having to give that place up for a potential application to Cambridge with no guarantees (although it's likely York would give you another offer next year too).
Original post by jneill

FOI request. 7 with Media Studies...
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/276668/response/677570/attach/2/FOI%202015%20182%20Adeosun%20response%20letter%20and%20data.pdf

Posted from TSR Mobile

@jneill If it wouldn't take up too much of your time, would it be possible to find similar stats on applicants to Jesus College to study Natural Sciences please? Thank you for your ongoing help and advice to all the students and parents on here - it really is invaluable, fascinating and even entertaining at times!
Reply 11
Original post by Spange88
@jneill If it wouldn't take up too much of your time, would it be possible to find similar stats on applicants to Jesus College to study Natural Sciences please? Thank you for your ongoing help and advice to all the students and parents on here - it really is invaluable, fascinating and even entertaining at times!

All I did was Googled...

You can also search on whatdotheyknow.

e.g. https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/geography_and_natural_science_qu
Original post by jneill

Posted from TSR Mobile

The Sophist of Silicon Valley. :teehee:
Original post by jneill
All I did was Googled...

You can also search on whatdotheyknow.

e.g. https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/geography_and_natural_science_qu