Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

Work being awkward with keys

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've recently become a key holder at my work as a promotion although I am pleased about this there is one thing that annoys me.

There is 3 keyholders there and only two sets of keys. This means I often need to go to people's house after work with keys. Many times our manager has asked for a set of keys to be made but they never get them made and I'm fed up of it.

I'm still on trial period so I'm worried about being awkward but I don't know what to do because I'm sick of having to switch keys and having to pick them up on my day off etc. What is best course of action.

ReputationRep:
    Until you're last your trial period, don't make waves. Afterwards, you're good to go.

Alternatively:

- Get a set cut yourself - duh.
    - Mention assertively that you'd like a third set explaining why.
    - Make **** happen through stamping your feet, after your trial period.

(Original post by oZombiex2)
    I've recently become a key holder at my work as a promotion although I am pleased about this there is one thing that annoys me.

There is 3 keyholders there and only two sets of keys. This means I often need to go to people's house after work with keys. Many times our manager has asked for a set of keys to be made but they never get them made and I'm fed up of it.

I'm still on trial period so I'm worried about being awkward but I don't know what to do because I'm sick of having to switch keys and having to pick them up on my day off etc. What is best course of action.
    Ask the manager if you can get a set cut, if they say yes, then get them cut and end of problem. If the manager cnat give permission then ask head office or whoever can ok it. Be discreet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pmc:producer)
    Alternatively:

- Get a set cut yourself - duh.
    - Mention assertively that you'd like a third set explaining why.
    - Make **** happen through stamping your feet, after your trial period.
    OP: don't follow this advice and just 'get a set cut yourself' without getting express permission first from your manager - copying keys without permission would probably be viewed as a disciplinary matter. You don't want to ruin things given you've only just been promoted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    OP: don't follow this advice and just 'get a set cut yourself' without getting express permission first from your manager - copying keys without permission would probably be viewed as a disciplinary matter. You don't want to ruin things given you've only just been promoted.
    Of course I didn't mean secretly get a set cut. It's about using initiative - if the manager has mentioned that a 3rd set will be cut but hasn't found the time, tell her you'll do it yourself. It's as simple as that. If the manager views this as being against policy or procedure, then the manager will advise against this.

Don't cast a tone of sneakiness over the advice - which is sound advice. Take charge of the situation and use your initiative, or don't - it's at straight forward as this. Apologies I never made it explicitly clear that the OP wasn't to run to her nearest Timpson's without her manager's blessing and get a secret third set cut. Although if that really needed explaining to anyone, it's questionable whether they'd have the permission to handle keys.

We also need to assume this isn't a large organization where bureaucracy slows things down with the managers statement that a third set will be cut soon (which inplys the manager is the decision maker with regards to keys being cut).

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.