Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

"Unemployed" for past couple months due to personal projects, where to put on CV? Watch

ReputationRep:
    personal projects (long story short) being a property portfolio, where to put this on my CV if applying for a legal role in particular or TC? i assume i can't put it under employment or legal work experience? would it go under "other interests and hobbies"? or do i devote a tiny section exclusively on this?

and before/if you ask: aside from it being a nightmare and a very steep learning curve, i couldn't have held a full-time "employment" job (without getting fired due to conflict) and be able to do what i've done at the same time.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by random163)
    personal projects (long story short) being a property portfolio, where to put this on my CV if applying for a legal role in particular or TC? i assume i can't put it under employment or legal work experience? would it go under "other interests and hobbies"? or do i devote a tiny section exclusively on this?

and before/if you ask: aside from it being a nightmare and a very steep learning curve, i couldn't have held a full-time "employment" job (without getting fired due to conflict) and be able to do what i've done at the same time.
    Did you make any money out of it? If so, it is self-employment and can be under your work experience section. Just needs carefully explaining.

Seen very similar things on CVs under work experience anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Did you make any money out of it? If so, it is self-employment and can be under your work experience section. Just needs carefully explaining.

Seen very similar things on CVs under work experience anyway.
    yes but the thing is HMRC doesn't class property investing [as opposed to trading] as self employment because the income is regarded as investment income - should i just stick it under work experience anyway? what do you mean when you say it needs carefully explaining? also, i don't know what to title this particular "work experience" in my CV (everything is owned through my name rather than a company)...

ReputationRep:
    It sounds like you've bought a house, done it up and sold it on. Right?

It's difficult to classify this as 'employment' unless it was done as part of a business, as you've said already regarding HMRC. It's essentially a hobby. I would thus put it under 'hobbies and interests' - that way you can't be accused of making something up or inflating something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    It sounds like you've bought a house, done it up and sold it on. Right?

It's difficult to classify this as 'employment' unless it was done as part of a business, as you've said already regarding HMRC. It's essentially a hobby. I would thus put it under 'hobbies and interests' - that way you can't be accused of making something up or inflating something.
    yes but the thing is HMRC doesn't class property investing [as opposed to trading] as self employment because the income is regarded as investment income - should i just stick it under work experience anyway? what do you mean when you say it needs carefully explaining? also, i don't know what to title this particular "work experience" in my CV (everything is owned through my name rather than a company)...
    nope, what i've done is more similar to a landlord/developer than anything else. although i may not be classed as self-employed (no NI obligations), i am taxed and can claim expenses/losses against profit as if it is any other business.
    if i was to put it under hobbies (which is a tiny section in itself), i'm afraid it'll easily be overlooked?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Maybe create a separate section after your work experience as you have suggested then. Title it "investment projects" or something similar. I've seen plenty of other people out similar things as employment, including stock/share trading, property development and even gambling but if you are concerned it might be seen as not reflective, creat a new section. I wouldn't hide it in extra curriculars.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't think something like that was out of place if I saw it under the work experience or employment section of a CV.

ReputationRep:
    It's a good thing you're writing out a CV, not a tax return.

Tbh I would probably think nothing of seeing this under 'employment' - it seems the most sensible place to put it.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 20, 2016
Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.