Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Graphs Question

ReputationRep:
    Hello. I wonder if anyone might be able to help me with these questions relating to the graph below. Thank you.

What is the independent variable on all the graphs

I think the independent variable is the annual concentrations of particulate matter (PM 2.5) in each neighbourhood.

Describe the relationship between PM2.5 and hospital admissions for CHD and circulatory diseases.

I am not sure what those two formulae on the graph show? Are they related to correlation?

State two other factors that might affect hospital admissions for these conditions.

Age of people, and location to hospital maybe? I'm not sure.

Suggest one improvement to the presentation of the graphs that would help people to understand the results?

The neighbourhoods could named maybe? I'm not sure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by random87x)
    Hello. I wonder if anyone might be able to help me with these questions relating to the graph below. Thank you.

What is the independent variable on all the graphs

I think the independent variable is the annual concentrations of particulate matter (PM 2.5) in each neighbourhood.
    The dependent variable is the quantity that you are measuring in an experiment, the dependent variables are the quantities that may affect the value of the dependent variables. In general, the independent variable is plotted on the horizontal axis, the dependent variable is plotted on the vertical axis. So I agree with you.

Describe the relationship between PM2.5 and hospital admissions for CHD and circulatory diseases.

I am not sure what those two formulae on the graph show? Are they related to correlation?

I guess so. There is positive correlation in all the graphs.

State two other factors that might affect hospital admissions for these conditions.

Age of people, and location to hospital maybe? I'm not sure.
    Rather than location to hospital, I would have thought that something like rate of pre-existing heart/lung/vascular disease, diabetes, etc in the local populations.

Suggest one improvement to the presentation of the graphs that would help people to understand the results?

The neighbourhoods could named maybe? I'm not sure
    I'm not sure either.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.