The Student Room Group

non-law going to law fair in Manchester, what to expect? is it worth me going?

I'm a final year psychology student, I'm considering converting to law, but I'd like to have a feel to see if that's something I definitely want to pursue. I'm planning on volunteering at my local citizens advise bureau and I've signed up for a law fair in Manchester.

I'm really nervous going to the fair tomorrow. I feel most people will be at that stage where they know what they want: law they're interested in and the firms they want to work with, who they want to get in touch with etc. But I don't know what area I like, or have any firms in mind. I'm just looking for some mentoring and making contacts - i'm beginning to wonder if it's worth it? And if i'll even make contacts lol. I'll travelling long distance and it'll take my entire day, too, so I want to feel that effort would be worthwhile

Any insight be would great
Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
Hi

Strangely, I attended the law fair (I'm presuming this is the one at Manchester Uni) to represent my firm (I'm a Solicitor).

As ever, there were a mixture of people attending, however the vast majority were still very early into their decision making process (by that I mean knowing the type of firm or the area of law they would like to practise). From my experience (and also from speaking to friends of a similar level), you don't really start to gain an understanding of the type of work you'd like to do day in day out until you're actually doing it.

Anyway, if you have any questions you would like to ask then feel free. FYI I graduated in Summer 2012, finished Law School in Summer 2013 and qualified as a Solicitor in Sept 2016.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending