Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

I'm scared because

Announcements

I think I might have BPD and the symptoms are all there and people have been telling me it's likely that I do, this is coming from medical professionals but I'm scared to see the doctor or discuss it because I've been hearing the stigma about it. My life isn't great right now, I'm being patronised, I feel sad and happy, I'm bored and my mum annoys me so much...

I've been crying myself to sleep recently :cry2: and usually I don't tell people my feelings, I like to bottle them inside but I just can't find the courage to see the GP as he will judge me. Plus my mum won't take it seriously, just like my depression and other issues. How do I see the GP in confidence and without her knowing? And how do I overcome everything, I feel like an emotional wreck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I think I might have BPD and the symptoms are all there and people have been telling me it's likely that I do, this is coming from medical professionals but I'm scared to see the doctor or discuss it because I've been hearing the stigma about it. My life isn't great right now, I'm being patronised, I feel sad and happy, I'm bored and my mum annoys me so much...

I've been crying myself to sleep recently :cry2: and usually I don't tell people my feelings, I like to bottle them inside but I just can't find the courage to see the GP as he will judge me. Plus my mum won't take it seriously, just like my depression and other issues. How do I see the GP in confidence and without her knowing? And how do I overcome everything, I feel like an emotional wreck.
    Hi! I'm sorry you're going through this. Who has told you that you likely have BPD? Because you said medical professionals, depending on who it may be possible to get a referral and/or advice from them. If you see your GP, no one else has to know. It should all be kept in confidence. You could even say you're going in for the flu jab or something if someone will question why you're there, or where you're going. Your GP should not judge you. If they do, then I would really recommend seeing a different one and maybe making a complaint. They should refer you to the appropriate professional/s.

It's really good that you're recognising this and that you want to get help. The next step is to get that appointment. Good luck

(Original post by chelseadagg3r)
    Hi! I'm sorry you're going through this. Who has told you that you likely have BPD? Because you said medical professionals, depending on who it may be possible to get a referral and/or advice from them. If you see your GP, no one else has to know. It should all be kept in confidence. You could even say you're going in for the flu jab or something if someone will question why you're there, or where you're going. Your GP should not judge you. If they do, then I would really recommend seeing a different one and maybe making a complaint. They should refer you to the appropriate professional/s.

It's really good that you're recognising this and that you want to get help. The next step is to get that appointment. Good luck
    Thank you for your response, means a lot. I've seen a therapist before and a psychologist but at first they assumed it was because I had a lot going on and was just depressed but the other symptoms, fear of abandonment, behaving in a certain way, I get like that. I guess I'm just scared because I'll be judged

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your response, means a lot. I've seen a therapist before and a psychologist but at first they assumed it was because I had a lot going on and was just depressed but the other symptoms, fear of abandonment, behaving in a certain way, I get like that. I guess I'm just scared because I'll be judged
    There is an unfortunate stigma against mental health issues, which is awful. Things are getting better though. It shouldn't be present with your GP, and if it is then there's a real problem and it isn't with you. I know what it's like to put off getting help for fear of being judged and things like that, and it's just not a way to go. If you put off seeing someone, nothing changes. You still feel the same way and everything, you just don't have the same chance to get better - you know what I mean? :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Go to a mental health charity near you, volunteers there are supposed to understand your issues and they'll even offer a hug if you need it

(Original post by chelseadagg3r)
    There is an unfortunate stigma against mental health issues, which is awful. Things are getting better though. It shouldn't be present with your GP, and if it is then there's a real problem and it isn't with you. I know what it's like to put off getting help for fear of being judged and things like that, and it's just not a way to go. If you put off seeing someone, nothing changes. You still feel the same way and everything, you just don't have the same chance to get better - you know what I mean? :hugs:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    Go to a mental health charity near you, volunteers there are supposed to understand your issues and they'll even offer a hug if you need it
    Thank you so much for your responses, means a lot. I just need to pluck the courage to see the GP.

ReputationRep:

You're going to get some stigma wheather you see a doctor or not so you might as well see them and start improving things. The GP will not judge you- if he did he could be disiplined. You can just make up a reson to go to the doctors. They will not tell your mum what you talked about. Your doctor can help you with treatment like therapy or medication and you will be able to overcome this. Things like this keep piling up and getting worse if you try to manage it alone and it will seem imposible to recover, but it is possible. Trust me.

Do you mind if I ask how old you are (just over or under 18 if you don't want to tell me exactly)? Some things are different depending on age.

(Original post by Kindred)
    You're going to get some stigma wheather you see a doctor or not so you might as well see them and start improving things. The GP will not judge you- if he did he could be disiplined. You can just make up a reson to go to the doctors. They will not tell your mum what you talked about. Your doctor can help you with treatment like therapy or medication and you will be able to overcome this. Things like this keep piling up and getting worse if you try to manage it alone and it will seem imposible to recover, but it is possible. Trust me.

Do you mind if I ask how old you are (just over or under 18 if you don't want to tell me exactly)? Some things are different depending on age.
    Hi, I'm in the age range 18-20 so I'm just worried people are going to judge me, I really don't want this to discourage my chances of a relationship or friends.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm in the age range 18-20 so I'm just worried people are going to judge me, I really don't want this to discourage my chances of a relationship or friends.
    Struggling as you are now will be far worse than any stigma. I can't tell you that you won't encounter any stigma, but I found that people were far more understanding of my issues than I had expected. People also tend to be a bit more understanding of somebody with a diagnosis than somebody who's "just wierd" cos there is a reason, even if they don't really understand the reason.

Think of it this way, people are rude about some people in wheelchairs right? But you wouldn't let that stop you getting a wheelchair if you needed one cos otherwise you'd have to drag yourself along the floor. Avoiding stigma is not worth risking your wellbeing for. Your health is more important than what people think of you and anybody who is rude about you cos of it was a **** anyway so no loss in not being friends with them.

I know it's kinda a loose loose situation in a way, but honestly the stigma is not that big of a deal. You will find that there is a lot more benefit in seeing somebody.

Story time- I had a tough situation in uni when somebody was mean to me on a course fb group cos I got an extension. I was devistated and avoided lectures for a while. Eventually I went back to lectures and after the first one somebody came up to me and asked if I was okay and said I should report the person who did it.
    I was too embarassed to report them then, but it happened again and after that somebody else reported them for me. I realised that although that one girl judged me and had all that stigma I feared, most of the course was behind me and supported me.

I've also realised after opening up more, that more people have mh issues than I'd ever realised. There's a bunch of us out there and we're all there for eachother so just remember that you aren't alone and if somebody does judge you, the people staring will be staring and judging them, not you.

ReputationRep:
    Bear in mind that diagnosis isn't an exact science and often requires multiple sessions. I was misdiagnosed with bpd before I was given PTSD as a primary dx with bpd traits. 7 of 9 criteria overlap for these and can sometimes depend on the clinicians experience and background as to what they suspect.

(Original post by ~Tara~)
    Bear in mind that diagnosis isn't an exact science and often requires multiple sessions. I was misdiagnosed with bpd before I was given PTSD as a primary dx with bpd traits. 7 of 9 criteria overlap for these and can sometimes depend on the clinicians experience and background as to what they suspect.
    It's so so confusing I don't want to be diagnosed then people saying I'm mental or off my head but I'm struggling so much.

I still haven't made that appointment yet, I was quite happy this week but I feel so angry, just so so conflicted. I don't know who I am.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: November 27, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.