Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I'm currently in Year 11 and I'm intending to study modern languages at university. I've been told it's good practice to read literature written in the languages you want to study to improve fluency and show your interest in the subject etc so I was wondering if anyone had any good recommendations for someone starting to read French/German books, of any genre and time period, for me to read? Thanks! ))

ReputationRep:
    I would suggest Joffo's 'Un sac de billes' but you'll probably end up studying it at A level! For a challenge, how about Madame Bovary in the original - it's quite short.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know how advanced yu are so it might be a bit out of your reach, but I've been reading "Der Besuch der alten Dame" and have found it quite easy to follow (you might want to either get i) a bilingual version or ii) a version which has key words + their translations on the opposite page/at the end of the chapter).

Only two that I would not recommend you read are; i) anything by Franz Kafka because he writes in the most insanely complicated way I've ever seen and ii) Kleider machen Leute by Keller(?) because that's also quite complicated.

Der Besuch der alten Dame is a play, so you might want to try looking for other plays in German/French as they will be based upon conversations which are must easier to follow than a narrative.

ReputationRep:
    Well i'm reading 'ich fühl mich so fifty fifty' and 'le Tartuffe' maybe try those! My teacher gave them to me cause I want study languages too!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.