Sadness makes my friend feel awkward Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi I have a friend who I have known for 16 years (we're 18). She is ridiculously uncomfortable with emotions. Like if I'm feeling sad about something, she notices but pretends not to.

I can't often directly say things like 'I'm feeling upset' (I'm an ISFP which I believe contributes heavily) so I will say something that quite strongly hints to me feeling upset and I'm know she picks up on it (it's often very obvious and a person would need to be very stupid not to be able to pick up on it), but she never asks me about it, she just ignores it or pretends to take it at face value. Even if I did directly say 'I'm sad' it would freak her out and she would feel obliged to ask 'why' but wouldn't want to.

In a group chat I was saying about something going wrong and I was like 'I've been feeling sad enough lately without this happening!' And again, she awkwardly ignored it.

It's beginning to make me feel very resentful as not being allowed to talk about when I'm sad or when something is bothering me just feels awful and makes me feel as though I'm not allowed to be myself. She doesn't really show negative feelings either and I often try to draw it out of her but she will refuse to share. Any thoughts on this situation?
Rock Fan
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi I have a friend who I have known for 16 years (we're 18). She is ridiculously uncomfortable with emotions. Like if I'm feeling sad about something, she notices but pretends not to.

I can't often directly say things like 'I'm feeling upset' (I'm an ISFP which I believe contributes heavily) so I will say something that quite strongly hints to me feeling upset and I'm know she picks up on it (it's often very obvious and a person would need to be very stupid not to be able to pick up on it), but she never asks me about it, she just ignores it or pretends to take it at face value. Even if I did directly say 'I'm sad' it would freak her out and she would feel obliged to ask 'why' but wouldn't want to.

In a group chat I was saying about something going wrong and I was like 'I've been feeling sad enough lately without this happening!' And again, she awkwardly ignored it.

It's beginning to make me feel very resentful as not being allowed to talk about when I'm sad or when something is bothering me just feels awful and makes me feel as though I'm not allowed to be myself. She doesn't really show negative feelings either and I often try to draw it out of her but she will refuse to share. Any thoughts on this situation?
Some people are just like that with emotions, some people never show it. People react in different ways when told stuff.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Rock Fan)
Some people are just like that with emotions, some people never show it. People react in different ways when told stuff.
Yes that's true, I shouldn't try to force her to be something she isn't
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a role model?

Yes - I know them personally (294)
26.09%
Yes - they're famous (286)
25.38%
No I don't (547)
48.54%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed