Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Sadness makes my friend feel awkward

Hi I have a friend who I have known for 16 years (we're 18). She is ridiculously uncomfortable with emotions. Like if I'm feeling sad about something, she notices but pretends not to.

I can't often directly say things like 'I'm feeling upset' (I'm an ISFP which I believe contributes heavily) so I will say something that quite strongly hints to me feeling upset and I'm know she picks up on it (it's often very obvious and a person would need to be very stupid not to be able to pick up on it), but she never asks me about it, she just ignores it or pretends to take it at face value. Even if I did directly say 'I'm sad' it would freak her out and she would feel obliged to ask 'why' but wouldn't want to.

In a group chat I was saying about something going wrong and I was like 'I've been feeling sad enough lately without this happening!' And again, she awkwardly ignored it.

It's beginning to make me feel very resentful as not being allowed to talk about when I'm sad or when something is bothering me just feels awful and makes me feel as though I'm not allowed to be myself. She doesn't really show negative feelings either and I often try to draw it out of her but she will refuse to share. Any thoughts on this situation?

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi I have a friend who I have known for 16 years (we're 18). She is ridiculously uncomfortable with emotions. Like if I'm feeling sad about something, she notices but pretends not to.

I can't often directly say things like 'I'm feeling upset' (I'm an ISFP which I believe contributes heavily) so I will say something that quite strongly hints to me feeling upset and I'm know she picks up on it (it's often very obvious and a person would need to be very stupid not to be able to pick up on it), but she never asks me about it, she just ignores it or pretends to take it at face value. Even if I did directly say 'I'm sad' it would freak her out and she would feel obliged to ask 'why' but wouldn't want to.

In a group chat I was saying about something going wrong and I was like 'I've been feeling sad enough lately without this happening!' And again, she awkwardly ignored it.

It's beginning to make me feel very resentful as not being allowed to talk about when I'm sad or when something is bothering me just feels awful and makes me feel as though I'm not allowed to be myself. She doesn't really show negative feelings either and I often try to draw it out of her but she will refuse to share. Any thoughts on this situation?
    Some people are just like that with emotions, some people never show it. People react in different ways when told stuff.

(Original post by Rock Fan)
    Some people are just like that with emotions, some people never show it. People react in different ways when told stuff.
    Yes that's true, I shouldn't try to force her to be something she isn't

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: November 17, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.