Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

Mafia game

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys!
    Having only played Mafia as a live group game, I was wondering if we'd be able to make it into a game which can be played on TSR!

In case you don't know the rules (of the standard game, as I learnt it), I've explained them in the spoiler. If you do know the rules, you can skip it.

Spoiler:
    Show

- As in a typical murder-mystery, the aim of the game is to find out who is in the mafia... before it's too late. The game is set in a village.
    - All participants are given an identity: Some are part of the mafia, one is the detective, one is the doctor, and the rest are citizens. (There's also a narrator/game master. I'll come to that later.) Note that nobody knows who anybody else is.
    - The game begins: It's "night", and the village sleeps. The members of the mafia (who at this point find out who each other are) wake up and decide to kill one member of the village. This is all at the prompting of the narrator. The mafia members go back to sleep.
    - Then, the detective wakes up and silently asks the narrator whether a certain person is a member of the mafia. The detective then goes back to sleep.
    - Finally, the doctor wakes up and visits a villager's house at his own choice. Note that nobody at this point knows who has been attacked. If the doctor visits the house of the attacked person, that person doesn't die. (It's also possible for the doctor to visit his own house, to protect himself, but rather pointless and a bit selfish!)
    - The next "morning", if the doctor hasn't made the right choice, then the villagers all go to the house of the murdered person. They are outraged, and decide to pick one person as the suspected culprit - this is decided upon by voting, but the detective can anonymously give advice - and kill them.
    - Here, the cycle continues, either until everyone in the village is dead (or there is only one citizen left) which makes the mafia the victor, or all the members of the mafia have been uncovered, which makes the citizens the victors.

If any of the explanation was unclear, do feel free to ask questions

The way the game would be played on TSR would be slightly different. I propose to be the narrator, and I will PM everyone playing with their identity (decided randomly, with dice or cards). Then, we will play, with me posting up the story as it unravels, and the mafia, detective and doctor functioning via PMs (I will let each member of the mafia know who else is in it with them). If anyone has any further suggestions, I will be happy to listen!

So how does that sound?You can show that you want to play by replying with a "yes"!

LET THE GAME COMMENCE!!!:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

eh why not?

I remember when we used to play this months ago on tsr :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Sounds fun!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by homeland.lsw)
    eh why not?

I remember when we used to play this months ago on tsr :lol:
    lol do I take that for a "yes"?
    And I don't remember that, but at least that means it's possible! XD

ReputationRep:
    Just so you know - the ratio of normal ppl: mafia members tends to be about 3:1.

ReputationRep:
    Oh btw, a note on timings -
    If you want to play, you'll have to let me know by tomorrow, midnight - after that, the game will begin.
    Also, when we're playing, members of the mafia, the detective, and the doctor should PM me any time between 3pm and 9am (the "night" ) - the "day" will happen from 9am to 3pm, as all that will then be required is for people to decide on a victim (decided by 3pm). I'm going to suggest that those players who are active during the "night" respond in no particular order, otherwise it may be difficult for some ppl to get back on time. How's that sound?

(Original post by Treblebee)
    lol do I take that for a "yes"?
    And I don't remember that, but at least that means it's possible! XD
    Just so you know - the ratio of normal ppl: mafia members tends to be about 3:1.
    Oh btw, a note on timings -
    If you want to play, you'll have to let me know by tomorrow, midnight - after that, the game will begin.
    Also, when we're playing, members of the mafia, the detective, and the doctor should PM me any time between 3pm and 9am (the "night" ) - the "day" will happen from 9am to 3pm, as all that will then be required is for people to decide on a victim (decided by 3pm). I'm going to suggest that those players who are active during the "night" respond in no particular order, otherwise it may be difficult for some ppl to get back on time. How's that sound?
    yep alright. just to ask, in the least rude way, i won't have to do too much? as in it's fairly straightforward

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by homeland.lsw)
    yep alright. just to ask, in the least rude way, i won't have to do too much? as in it's fairly straightforward
    Oh sorry I should prob have made it clearer! No, you don't need to do that much. The most you will have to do is if you're a mafia member, in which case you'll have to decide on who you'll pick each night (with the other mafia members) and PM me about it. (As well as the voting by day) In all, it shouldn't take more than 15 min, but you will have to be availible every day (or if you can't be, which I totally get, then we could always extend each "day" into two days, which would prob be better).

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Forum Games Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.