bunnies
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi!

I seem to be the very rare minority who's planning to apply for a PGCE under a non-eu, international student status. Would be great to find out if there are others like me and have a chat about fees and possible funding alternatives since Govt bursaries etc are not available to us.

Cheers
Wish2527
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey. I am also planning to do the same. How are you getting on? Any luck with scholarships or bursaries. Which uni you applying for?
vachhani
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi

Did you end up doing PGCE? I think it's very rare for an international student to get funding for PGCE. There is one program which considers international applicants but they have to be PhD students. It is called researchers in schools.
(Original post by Wish2527)
Hey. I am also planning to do the same. How are you getting on? Any luck with scholarships or bursaries. Which uni you applying for?
Faultier1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Researchers in Schools charges the schools £3000 for the privilege of training you and have you one day less in school per week than a regular trainee. So they pay for less resource. Strangely enough this fee to schools is not publicized very well. You put yourself at a disadvantage especially with regards to the availability and location of training places.
yoshimax
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Did either of you end up doing the PGCE? I'm from the US and I'm hoping to do a PGCE. It would be nice to speak to others who've gone through the same process.
Mark_Lee
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I'm an international student from China and will start my PGCE program next year in September. My future instructor made it clear that I'll need to pay the tuition fee by myself. Although there are a variety of scholarships available for international students from certain countries, mostly disadvantaged countries I think, the number of spots is few and the competition is fierce.

So my advice is to check with the uni you desire to apply for and I'm sure they'll send you all the choices applicable to you. Hope this is helpful.
paul001
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hii, I am also an international student from India planning for doing PGCE next september. Still confused on which university to apply. Will all universities accept International Students. What about the interview process, should we there in person for interview. Could you please mention which University you have applied Mark.
yoshimax
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by paul001)
Hii, I am also an international student from India planning for doing PGCE next september. Still confused on which university to apply. Will all universities accept International Students. What about the interview process, should we there in person for interview. Could you please mention which University you have applied Mark.
Not all universities will accept international students, but most will. I'd recommend looking at their website. Some specifically state that they can't sponsor international students and others just don't list fees for international students so I figured they wouldn't accept any. Some schools will allow virtual interviews, while others only do in-person interviews. I'd email them to ask about whether or not they'd do a virtual interview.
Mark_Lee
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by paul001)
Hi there, I agree with what "yoshimax" said. Just ask the uni you want to apply to. I applied to three universities, Uni of Reading, Manchester, and UCL; I know that Reading and Manchester offer skype interview but not so sure about UCL, because I withdrew it before they get back to me.
paul001
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Thanks Yoshimax and Mark Lee for your reply.Mark Lee could you please explain, how your interview was with University of Reading. Just to know how it will be.Did they ask for UK school experiences?Is prior teaching experience very much necessary for admission?. Basically I am an Engineer and I am trying for PGCE Maths Secondary.
Marvin-Lee
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thanks All for the info. I'm South African and lived in the UK more than 10 years ago. I've also just applied to a few universities for the PGCE secondary maths. Any particular universities or colleges that are more affordable as it seems GBP12k or so is the average fee which is high considering our weak currency. Secondly, I know the workload is hectic but is there a way to make extra money while doing PGCE. Tx Marv
yoshimax
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Marvin-Lee)
Thanks All for the info. I'm South African and lived in the UK more than 10 years ago. I've also just applied to a few universities for the PGCE secondary maths. Any particular universities or colleges that are more affordable as it seems GBP12k or so is the average fee which is high considering our weak currency. Secondly, I know the workload is hectic but is there a way to make extra money while doing PGCE. Tx Marv
Look to see if any unis offer scholarships to international PGCE students. I received a £3800 scholarship from Edge Hill. Some other schools that said they'd offer scholarships to international PGCE students are Plymouth, LSBU, Derby, and UEL, although I'm sure there are more. Liverpool Hope is only £9250 for international students.

I've read everywhere that working while doing your PGCE is a bad idea due to how busy you are. Self employment isn't allowed on the Tier 4 visa either. It'll be hard to do extra work so I'd just try to work as much as possible now.
Marvin-Lee
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thank you Yoshi. That helps alot, much appreciated.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (276)
33.99%
No (536)
66.01%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise