Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

How does the industry prepare very low concentration solutions (titration)?

ReputationRep:
    Applied Science BTEC Year 1

My tutor is really unspecific when he keeps sending my work back repeating that I need to speak more on this question, and I don't know what I'm missing. Can anybody answer this question?

ReputationRep:
    What did you say?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JasmineGlanv47)
    Applied Science BTEC Year 1

My tutor is really unspecific when he keeps sending my work back repeating that I need to speak more on this question, and I don't know what I'm missing. Can anybody answer this question?
    Look up "homeopathy"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    What did you say?

. Some pieces of equipment used to make titration tests more accurate involve the use of micro or large measuring equipment, or microbalance scales. Another way is to perform multiple tests and take an average of numerous readings. These microbalance scales measure substances a lot more accurate to numerous decimal points, such as 0.00001mg, whilst educational settings only use measuring scales that are 2 or 3 decimal point spaces, such as 0.001mg. The only issue with microbalance scales is that they are extremely sensitive to the slightest of weight, which means some steps need to be taken before you can use them for accurate readings, such as ensuring the surface is perfectly clean and empty of particles, being on a balanced surface and allowing the scale to adjust to room temperature and calibrate. Semimicro burettes are also used for tiny quantities of solution are measured sample sized, as well as automatic burettes such as the ones from Blaubrand, that can automatically fill and reset burette capacity on micro and large scales. Multichannel pipettes, such as the ones from Fisher Scientific, have multiple heads as opposed to a single head which means they can dispense solutions quicker and more accurately. These multichannel pipettes can come in micro sizes or larger scale sizes, ranging from 0 to a few thousand ul volumes.
    Equipment like this enables the industry to measure very small or very large quantities of solution for their titration experiments, and this in turn makes the test more accurate as more accurate readings in the beginning can be used. In the industry, their use of machinery to determine their end point and perform their titrations is more accurate than in educational settings however if the machine was to fault then the results could be catastrophic, which a lot of solutions wasted. Whilst in educational settings, although the space for human error is quantified, if one was to make a mistake the waste would be much, much less and cause little impact.

This is what I said. Obviously that's not the whole mini essay but most of the question in particular he keeps sending it back to me for

ReputationRep:
    As charco says, the clue is with homeopathy. Bach flower remedies in particular. How about this for an example:

I have a 0.1M solution (easily and accurately prepared in the lab). If I then take 1mL from this (an "aliquot" and add it to 999mL of water, what concentration do I have now? What if I repeated do this 6 or 7 times - can you imagine how dilute the concentration will be, and how accurately it can be prepared, given the aliquot of 1mL can be very accurately measured.

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.