The Student Room Group

Finding the correct career advice

Hi all,

I finished University in 2010, attended a few assessment centres for Microsoft, BMW and a local marketing company, without having much luck in securing a role, until landing a role as a digital marketer at a creative agency.

After 5-6 years I've been able to gain experience, ultimately resulting in becoming Digital Marketing manager of a small team of 6 people and fronting the digital solutions for our client base across the UK.

Along the way though I found it difficult to find the information I needed to excel at my profession and know where to turn next or how to get into a particular role, that would lead to a particular job/career I wanted.

Does anyone else find it frustrating or hard to get the correct careers advice?

Therefore, I am looking to create a platform that brings people's experiences to likeminded people who want to learn from people "who've been there and done that".

Would anyone have any thoughts of what they'd want to see on such a platform or what information they want about their own aspirations?

Look forward to talking.
Sam
Reply 1
Original post by J-SP
Careers advice is difficult - it's full of opinions and preferences which mean there often isn't a clear answer. Many have tried this and failed - recent Plotr, a company that had significant government funding and was in the careers advice sector, went into liquidation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Looks an interesting platform, thank you for introducing me to this. The game feature looks quite good for understanding your own personality. Why do you think this site hasn't succeeded in lifting off?

I understand your point about generic or loose advice. Do you not think it would be good to connect with someone and start a conversation about how to do something they've already done? Similar to how you're helping me now?

Appreciate your time and input
Reply 2
Original post by J-SP
Honestly - no. Individual circumstances mean getting advice on how someone else did it is not always the most helpful advice, and can sometimes be unhelpful. And this comes from someone who tries to give as much advice as possible - you really have to learn about the individual who needs the advice, before you can advise them.

Only careers it does work for are the highly vocational one, and then the career path is far more carved out/specific. These type of careers don't pump huge amount of advertising into websites like Plotr where the talent is more easy to identify and find.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for your honest input. I think your assessment is very interesting, particularly the idea of how an individual really needs to understand the perspective/situation of the person receiving the advice before they can make a real assessment or lend relevant advice.

Are you part of the TSR moderation community or do you follow altruistic pursuits out of your own initiative?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending