Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Murder By Playstation - Manhunt watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    ...On the 'Murder by Playstation' issue surrounding the game Manhunt and Warren Leblanc killing that 14 year old kid after becoming obsessed with the game. Do you think the media...i.e. books, cds, magazines, games etc can have that great an effect? Do you feel the game should be banned here as it is in New Zealand? This reminds me of that rape case involving two boys and that M Manson cd...where do we need to draw the line?

ReputationRep:
    i blame lemmings for the large number of cliff suicides every year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IHavePMS)
    ...On the 'Murder by Playstation' issue surrounding the game Manhunt and Warren Leblanc killing that 14 year old kid after becoming obsessed with the game. Do you think the media...i.e. books, cds, magazines, games etc can have that great an effect? Do you feel the game should be banned here as it is in New Zealand? This reminds me of that rape case involving two boys and that M Manson cd...where do we need to draw the line?
    it's a case of the "it's not that gun that kills people, it's the person that pulls the trigger" debate.

i personally think the media has a small (<10%) influence on such crimes as murder when it comes to computer games.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    it's a case of the "it's not that gun that kills people, it's the person that pulls the trigger" debate.

i personally think the media has a small (<10%) influence on such crimes as murder when it comes to computer games.
    What about this game specifically though? It made you a 'hero' on the basis of the amount of murders you committed. We're influenced by anything no matter how much we deny it, and children even moreso...so why make games that could have such a negative impact in the first place?

ReputationRep:
    Frankly, I find the idea that one computer game caused a murder slightly... stupid.

Even if if the media does have an influence (which I'm not convinced of), I think you need to be wrong in the head in the first place to do something like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frances)
    Frankly, I find the idea that one computer game caused a murder slightly... stupid.

Even if if the media does have an influence (which I'm not convinced of), I think you need to be wrong in the head in the first place to do something like that.
    If it was a matter of an outrageous, sole case, i'd agree with you...but this, like I pointed out...isn't the first instance of such a crime. And what possibly could make you 'wrong in the head in the first place' if it wasn't for some game that encouraged you to kill people?

ReputationRep:
    If it was a matter of an outrageous, sole case, i'd agree with you...but this, like I pointed out...isn't the first instance of such a crime. And what possibly could make you 'wrong in the head in the first place' if it wasn't for some game that encouraged you to kill people?
    I just don't think the media has that much influence that somebody would kill somebody because of it, and I think that there was usually exsiting problems.

It's like when the Jamie Bulger murder was blamed on Child's Play or murders being blamed on Scream or Natural Born Killers. Lots of people watch them, most of them don't go out and murder people! It's usually society looking for an excuse rather than facing up to the real causes of things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quiksilver)
    i blame lemmings for the large number of cliff suicides every year
    hehe

ReputationRep:
    I think the media is more influential in these things than most people acknowledge but I don't think it's responsible.

ReputationRep:
    If someone was battered to death with a playstation controller, then playstaions would not be banned, so i do not see why this game has been banned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dajo123)
    If someone was battered to death with a playstation controller, then playstaions would not be banned, so i do not see why this game has been banned.
    They would if they became a feasible threat. Like guns, for example.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frances)
    I just don't think the media has that much influence that somebody would kill somebody because of it, and I think that there was usually exsiting problems.

It's like when the Jamie Bulger murder was blamed on Child's Play or murders being blamed on Scream or Natural Born Killers. Lots of people watch them, most of them don't go out and murder people! It's usually society looking for an excuse rather than facing up to the real causes of things.
    Oh I don't deny the idea that there have to be other influences, but I think that in some cases they can trigger the ultimate criminal conduct, or even place the idea into your head...I mean, like I said, we are all influenced by the media in one way or another...to buy certain things, to go to certain companies...true, we don't all have the urge to kill someone after watching a violent movie, but it certainly desensitizes us to the idea of there being a murder. I certainly wouldn't say i'm shocked when things like this happen, unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    The absurdity of this topic kinda reminds me of the Goldie Lookin' Chain song "Guns Don't Kill People, Rappers Do". Download it and prepare to laugh (and try and catch the video)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingslaw)
    The absurdity of this topic kinda reminds me of the Goldie Lookin' Chain song "Guns Don't Kill People, Rappers Do". Download it and prepare to laugh (and try and catch the video)
    Love it

ReputationRep:
    If a computer game were responsible for somebody’s murder, then his/her family would win a civil claim against the manufacturer/distributor. Why hasn't this happened? D'oh! coz da idea is absurd.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dajo123)
    If a computer game were responsible for somebody’s murder, then his/her family would win a civil claim against the manufacturer/distributor. Why hasn't this happened? D'oh! coz da idea is absurd.
    They're petitioning to get the game banned at the moment. And what exactly is 'absurd' about the idea of banning a game that tells you to kill people? Everything has a limit, including violence in computer games etc. If you're going to insult an idea, at least back yourself up with a logical argument.

ReputationRep:
    The "boy" was an unstable murderer, it is that simple.

This guy was 17 years old, in my books thats pretty damn close to being an adult. Some people are just a bit psycho and we can't stop them from living out these fantasies even if we banned everything that could make them do something stupid.

ReputationRep:
    Considering we know absolutely nothing about this boy (his upbrining, his friends, his family life, his medical records, etc) apart from that he was partial to a rather violent video game that he purchased illegally, I cant understand why so many people have come to the conclusion that it was the video games fault?!?

Things that have caused more deaths than Manhunt (or videogames in general) and, using such logic, should thus be banned outright (some may overlap):
    -War
    -Starvation
    -George W Bush
    -Cars (or traffic in general)
    -Ciggerettes
    -Capitalism
    -Guns
    -Knives
    -Alcohol
    -Scientists (do we include animals in the death list?)
    -Fatty-food
    -Negligent doctors
    -Fire
    -Electricity
    -Water/Drowning
    -Zionism

...and many, many more...

ReputationRep:
    We should at least try and control the things that are easily taken care of...there should be limits as to what you can show on video games, just as there are time limits on tv for programmes of a sexual, violent nature. Just because THIS boy was seventeen it doesn't mean it justifies the continued use of the game when it could have gotten into the hands of a younger brother or sister...or anybody younger for that matter. It is common for younger children to be sold 18 rated viedo games easily, and since that's uncontrollable...the content of the games is the only other thing you could attack. Sure other things have to be accounted for, i've said this before...but as a society we're becoming far too used to violence...enough as it is with what war etc, than to have it exposed to us in something that should in essence be harmless.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting name...

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.