Murder By Playstation - Manhunt Watch

This discussion is closed.
Dajo123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by IHavePMS)
They're petitioning to get the game banned at the moment.
Who exactly is "they"?

And what exactly is 'absurd' about the idea of banning a game that tells you to kill people? Everything has a limit, including violence in computer games etc. If you're going to insult an idea, at least back yourself up with a logical argument.
Have you forgotten the game was rated 18?. Now, if i want to buy a computer game in which i take on a character who kills people then its my right to do that, why because im over 18! D'OH!
IHavePMS
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
(Original post by Do Chickens Fly)
Interesting name...
Thanks?
Dajo123
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
We should at least try and control the things that are easily taken care of...there should be limits as to what you can show on video games, just as there are time limits on tv for programmes of a sexual, violent nature. Just because THIS boy was seventeen it doesn't mean it justifies the continued use of the game when it could have gotten into the hands of a younger brother or sister...or anybody younger for that matter. It is common for younger children to be sold 18 rated viedo games easily, and since that's uncontrollable...the content of the games is the only other thing you could attack. Sure other things have to be accounted for, i've said this before...but as a society we're becoming far too used to violence...enough as it is with what war etc, than to have it exposed to us in something that should in essence be harmless.
The most disturbing violence i have ever seen happens every night on my TV at 6:00pm its called THE NEWS! Should we ban this as well?, as we often see REAL violence on this programme!!
IHavePMS
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dajo123)
Who exactly is "they"?
The parents of the child who was killed.

Have you forgotten the game was rated 18?. Now, if i want to buy a computer game in which i take on a character who kills people then its my right to do that, why because im over 18! D'OH!
I already mentioned that they could get into anyone's hands...besides the fact that rarely do people check ages these days before selling such products. My sister bought an 18 rated game when she was 14, because I was too sick to go to the store myself. Just a personal example there.
Dajo123
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I already mentioned that they could get into anyone's hands...besides the fact that rarely do people check ages these days before selling such products. My sister bought an 18 rated game when she was 14, because I was too sick to go to the store myself. Just a personal example there.
The most disturbing violence i have ever seen happens every night on my TV at 6:00pm its called THE NEWS! Should we ban this as well?, as we often see REAL violence on this programme!!
G4ry
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
My sister bought an 18 rated game when she was 14, because I was too sick to go to the store myself. Just a personal example there.
So that is the fault of the store for selling her the game, not the producer of the game (who is being damaged if they have to remove the game for one incident that has a vague connection.)
IHavePMS
Rep:
?
Consider the target audience. When you're 14, 15...etc, you rarely sit in front of the tv just to watch violence on the news...but hand you a copy of grand theft auto, and you're set. Also, that kind of violence causes distress and you see the effects of it when you look at the faces of crying mothers, grieving relatives etc, rather than encouraging it, like Manhunt does.
IHavePMS
Rep:
?
(Original post by G4ry)
So that is the fault of the store for selling her the game, not the producer of the game (who is being damaged if they have to remove the game for one incident that has a vague connection.)
The idea of having a game banned wouldn't even arise if there was an element of control when making the game in the first place. I'm simply arguing that there needs to be a limit to violence in these games, not total abolition.
Dajo123
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Consider the target audience. When you're 14, 15...etc, you rarely sit in front of the tv just to watch violence on the news...but hand you a copy of grand theft auto, and you're set. Also, that kind of violence causes distress and you see the effects of it when you look at the faces of crying mothers, grieving relatives etc, rather than encouraging it, like Manhunt does.
So not many fourteen year olds witnessed the news coverage of September the 11th, The Madrid Bombings, etc.. ? I think that exposure to this sort of horrific mass murder leaves a stronger imprint on the minds of EVERYONE, than a videogame that will be forgotten within a few months.
IHavePMS
Rep:
?
So not many fourteen year olds witnessed the news coverage of September the 11th, The Madrid Bombings, etc.. ? I think that exposure to this sort of horrific mass murder leaves a stronger imprint on the minds of EVERYONE, than a videogame that will be forgotten within a few months.
Obviously major incidents like that are exposed to younger people, yes, but like I said...that isn't violence that is encouraged. You see REAL people die and suffer, and see the consequences and the impact that kind of violence has on others and if anything, it averts you from wanting to see it whereas video games encourage just that violence, the killing of people...and god knows, becomes addictive too...there's that line of reality that becomes the decisive factor.
G4ry
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The idea of having a game banned wouldn't even arise if there was an element of control when making the game in the first place. I'm simply arguing that there needs to be a limit to violence in these games, not total abolition.
There is video game censors, they obviously felt it was of acceptable content for an 18+ and enabled the game to be released.
IHavePMS
Rep:
?
(Original post by G4ry)
There is video game censors, they obviously felt it was of acceptable content for an 18+ and enabled the game to be released.
That's what i'm arguing. The censors aren't adequate when they're releasing games of such an immoral, degrading nature. Encouraging murder....what's next, rape as many women as you can, the more the better? I know when I have kids that's the last thing i'd want them exposed to. It's sick and it's inhumane.
Dajo123
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Obviously major incidents like that are exposed to younger people, yes, but like I said...that isn't violence that is encouraged. You see REAL people die and suffer, and see the consequences and the impact that kind of violence has on others and if anything, it averts you from wanting to see it whereas video games encourage just that violence, the killing of people...and god knows, becomes addictive too...there's that line of reality that becomes the decisive factor.
I understand your point. But, Movies depicting death and destruction have existed for ages, these seem more real then the most cutting edge computer game.

I would agree with you if there had been a significant rise in "computer game related deaths" over the years as console have become more prevalent, but this simply hasn’t happen. Censorship is not the answer; you will always get crazy people who will do crazy things.
IHavePMS
Rep:
?
I understand your point. But, Movies depicting death and destruction have existed for ages, these seem more real then the most cutting edge computer game.

I would agree with you if there had been a significant rise in "computer game related deaths" over the years as console have become more prevalent, but this simply hasn’t happen. Censorship is not the answer; you will always get crazy people who will do crazy things.
True, they are more real...but it's similar to watching the news...in the majority of cases, the 'bad guy' gets it in the movies, so it shows you have to pay for being evil. Thus it doesn't necessarily encourage the violence in the sense that video games do, plus the fact that you're more involved when playing a video game only makes you more exposed and vulnerable to being influenced by it.

And I agree with your point too, I just believe that there's a sense of control that has yet to be established..it's not necessarily the rise in deaths that's the decisive factor, remember, it could be any other form of violence, or even the negative mental impact it has on many. I know it's impossible to measure that, but again, it isn't impossible to at least try and control that.
hattori
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I agree that the game is sick. I wouldn't want my kids to play it just because its disgusting and stupid (from what I hear anyway), to top it all off it is a 18+ game, however, I wouldn't ban the kids from playing the game because I think they will end up killing someone. I don't see how a normal 17 year old boy would be affected by a game.

I don't think that gaming related deaths actually happen. If there is a strong link between gaming and deaths I think we would have had an epidemic of child psychos.
hattori
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I would agree with you if there had been a significant rise in "computer game related deaths" over the years as console have become more prevalent.
0 to 5 is a massive increase. Since the first "computer game related death" there has been a 500% increase.:rolleyes:

It's more like there's a clever lawyer somewhere in America who wants to blame the games industry so they can claim damages and he can buy a Beverly Hills mansion. Not to mention the society we live in, where everyone is a victim and no one has any responsibility anymore.
IHavePMS
Rep:
?
(Original post by hattori)
I agree that the game is sick. I wouldn't want my kids to play it just because its disgusting and stupid (from what I hear anyway), to top it all off it is a 18+ game, however, I wouldn't ban the kids from playing the game because I think they will end up killing someone. I don't see how a normal 17 year old boy would be affected by a game.

I don't think that gaming related deaths actually happen. If there is a strong link between gaming and deaths I think we would have had an epidemic of child psychos.
It's not just the threat of killing someone that's the problem, IMO. I'm not saying that...i'm arguing against the exposure of something like encouraging violence in that sense itself.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
0 to 5 is a massive increase. Since the first "computer game related death" there has been a 500% increase.:rolleyes:

It's more like there's a clever lawyer somewhere in America who wants to blame the games industry so they can claim damages and he can buy a Beverly Hills mansion. Not to mention the society we live in, where everyone is a victim and no one has any responsibility anymore.
Blame the lawyers!

(sorry I'm not to be taken remotely serious at the moment)
IHavePMS
Rep:
?
This kind of problem wouldn't exist in the first place if the people who design these games would themselves accept a little responsibility and take care in what they're exposing people to.
IHavePMS
Rep:
?
(Original post by fishpaste)
Blame the lawyers!

(sorry I'm not to be taken remotely serious at the moment)
I'm gonna sue your ass for that, scumface.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (84)
26.01%
No (239)
73.99%

Watched Threads