Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys
    I'm the head boy of one of NI's biggest schools and today the Deputy Head has asked me and the Head Girl to help her with a problem she has.

In our school, the sixth form are allowed out of school during lunch time but there is no system in which they are marked in or out.
    The problem is - if the fire alarm goes off during this time how do the form teachers for sixth formers know if someone who is not present in not there because they are out for lunch or if they are stuck in the building?
    Unfortunately my suggestion of a biometric system is too expensive and so cannot work.
    Does anyone have any other suggestions?
    Thanks
    Joe

My school has a similar problem, though perhaps made worse in that sixth formers can come and go as they please if they don't have a lesson on. The current system in use is to lock all the classroom doors and have staff designated as fire marshals to check a corridor is empty (mostly senior management and caretakers). This is apparently what the fire service has advised them to do. I hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    If you were a small school you could implement a policy of signing out. As you're such a large school there's not much you can do to properly solve this. I would say that at 6th form you should be held a bit more responsible and be able to take responsibility for getting yourself out of the building if the alarm goes off. I think keeping classroom doors locked when not in use/supervised and having designated adults to check toilets/cafeteria/library is also a good idea.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    It sounds like you either implement a sign out policy or not allow the 6th form to leave. My old school in N.Ireland had the same issue a few years ago and they ended up not allowing anyone to leave the premises.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.