Which cup competition is the most prestigious? Watch

Deyesy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Another debate which is had between pundits and football fans alike - which football competition is the most prestigious in the world? These are four examples of four of the biggest cup competitions in the world and honourary mentions must go to the Copa Del Rey and Copa America:

FIFA World Cup - Bringing together 32 of the best international teams across the world, Germany were it's most recent winners and crowned the best team in the world in 2014.

The FA Cup - Arguably the most prestigious cup competition in the world and frequently home to 'giant killings'. The 3rd round of it being my favourite single day in the footballing calander after the summer deadline day.

Copa Libertadores - Is to South America what the Champions League is to Europe, with it's final shown in over 130 countries.

UEFA Champions League - Some would argue this is the most prestigious and glamorous domestic cup competion in the world. Players dream about playing in it - sadly as a Liverpool fan, I've not had too many recent opportunities to see it as Anfield :moon:

So which in your opinion is the most prestigious? Is it one I've missed off the list? Let us know your thoughts!
swirly
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Champions League.

Nobody really cares about international football anymore.

The FA Cup is a smaller trophy than the PL. At the end of the season, you can brag your team has won the PL, you can't really brag you won the FA cup, it's more of a commiseration trophy- we didn't win the PL but atleast we won the FA Cup.

South American club football is as irrelevant as North American football tbh.
username917703
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
World Cup by a long way.

FA Cup and the Champions League especially need a lot of work and reformatting as well.

Deyesy

Did you and the staff discuss loads of topics to post in the Football Forum and now you're moving them from the staff forum one by one for discussion?
swirly
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Wilfred Little)
World Cup by a long way.

FA Cup and the Champions League especially need a lot of work and reformatting as well.

Deyesy

Did you and the staff discuss loads of topics to post in the Football Forum and now you're moving them from the staff forum one by one for discussion?
in 2022 would you rather see Villa lift the Champions League again or England win the World Cup again?
username917703
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by swirly)
in 2022 would you rather see Villa lift the Champions League again or England win the World Cup again?
Villa for a few reasons. Why?
michalekurs890
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Fifa and Uefa are corrupt, how can you have any prestige.
AngryJellyfish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Deyesy

:flute:
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Champions League or World Cup for me. I'm not that interested in the FA Cup or the EFL Cup. (or whatever they call it now) I've never been that interested in international foreign football either.
yudothis
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The FA Cup - Arguably the most prestigious cup competition in the world and frequently home to 'giant killings'. The 3rd round of it being my favourite single day in the footballing calander after the summer deadline day.

lolololololololol

what the actual f
Zerforax
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Champions League
World Cup
Copa Libertadores

League Cup
FA Cup

:awesome:
yudothis
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Well given that I am German, and hate Bayern, World Cup is most important.

I can see why English people might not rate the world cup that much.
Deyesy
Rep:
?
Just so you guys are aware; these are just my opinions and not facts and I could have made a list with even more cup competitions but then the OP would have looked silly :lol:
Deyesy
Rep:
?
Deyesy

(Original post by AngryJellyfish)
:flute:
Maybe, maybe not :angel:
Yaboi
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Champions league.
Sternumator
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
1) World Cup
2) Champions league
3) FA Cup
4)Whatever the last one is called
sr90
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The obvious answer is the CL but just imagine the reaction in this country if England did somehow win the World Cup.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
1) World Cup- by a long way
2) Champions league
3) FA Cup+ Copa Libertadores are national and regional.

FA would be taken a lot more seriously if there was a champions league spot
username917703
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by sr90)
The obvious answer is the CL but just imagine the reaction in this country if England did somehow win the World Cup.
It isn't obvious though is it. The World Cup is the highest honour in the sport.

The CL arguably has the better standard of football but that's about it.
Deyesy
Rep:
?
Remember, there are other football competitions out there that you might think hold more prestige
l'etranger
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Champions league. The standard of play in the world cup is too poor for me to care.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (336)
15.61%
The paper was reasonable (1172)
54.44%
Not feeling great about that exam... (465)
21.6%
It was TERRIBLE (180)
8.36%

Watched Threads