Turn on thread page Beta

Which country really poses the greatest danger to world peace in 2007? watch

• View Poll Results: Which country really poses the greatest danger to world peace in 2007?
    Syria
    1.98%
    Iran
    21.78%
    North Korea
    5.94%
    Russia
    16.83%
    China
    2.97%
    United States of America
    35.64%
    Lebanon
    0%
    Zimbabwe
    0%
    India
    0.99%
    Sudan
    0%
    Israel
    5.94%
    United Kingdom
    0%
    Pakistan
    1.98%
    Iraq
    1.98%
    Other
    0.99%
    Don't know/No comment
    2.97%

ReputationRep:
    Vote and discuss -

ReputationRep:
    I'd say Russia and China have the potential to disrupt world peace, and that Iran and North Korea have the desire to disrupt world peace.

ReputationRep:
    That was pretty much my view so I wasn't sure who to vote for.

ReputationRep:
    I would say Iran at the moment, but with Russia trying hard to muscle in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TML)
    I'd say Russia and China have the potential to disrupt world peace, and that Iran and North Korea have the desire to disrupt world peace.
    Thats also what i would have gone for a lot of the others have the desire/potential to cause disruption on a local scale but only russia and china could on a worldwide scale.
    And looking at recent news perhaps these two are alligning themselves together as to somewhat counter western intrests

I think the question is a two parter.. which countries have the desire and of these which have the ability to cause greatest damage?

I vote Iran.

ReputationRep:
    We got 33%!!!! Way to go!!
    *Starts Chant*

U-S-A! U-S-A!

The USA is the country which actually throws its troops around the world to cause havoc, not to mention its long history of proping up corrupt governments which are friendly to it.

ReputationRep:
    I find this question quite hard to answer as I see conflicts, not individual nations as having the potential to upset world peace. Iran, China and Russia all pose certain threats to stability, but equally so does the US.

In the coming years, as oil runs low, you'll see that countries with oil will become diplomatically boisterous and those without may become quite servantile. That's my supposition, at least.

ReputationRep:
    There are already alternatives to oil, hell perpetual motion already exists using the earths magnetism, the only reason these products aren't available is because the Oil companies have patented them. It's all about the money!

The USA without a doubt, but as the sole superpower it has to flex it's muscles if it's to retain that status.

ReputationRep:
    The question presupposes that retaining the status quo or (to be more accurate) that keeping the world stacked to the advantage of the West is the best thing. Countries like Iran, Russia and China, for example, may all feel that the current way the world is run needs changing and would therefore not consider themselves a "threat to world peace" but a tool for the change and betterment of the world situation.

Those who vote for the USA seem to also fall into this category. By equating US actions with a threat to the current strategic situation in the world they must therefore be unhappy with the US trying to retain or improve the strategic balance in favour of the West.

ReputationRep:
    Russia? In the future, but it's not yet Threat No.1 again.
    China? It's not in its interest to make trouble.
    Iran? Ditto.

If we're talking about which country is most likely to start a war then I'd say Syria/Israel (who strikes first is irrelevant), or Pakistan if things go belly-up.

If we're asking which country has the biggest negative effect on peace in general - in other ways besides that of open conflict - then at the moment it's Iran followed by Syria, but Russia's not far behind.

I voted for the USA because they are the one's who are making decisions on which countries are democratic and which are not, based purely on their own model of democracy... decisions that are both aggressive and arrogant, imo.

ReputationRep:
    I voted USA in the hope they invade Britain so beef jerky isn't so bloody expensive. OMGTREASON.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    I voted for the USA because they are the one's who are making decisions on which countries are democratic and which are not, based purely on their own model of democracy... decisions that are both aggressive and arrogant, imo.
    I didn't realise this was a popularity contest

(Original post by UniOfLife)
    I didn't realise this was a popularity contest
    Neither did I! Maybe I should have said "I voted against, rather than for"?

As far as I can see, the USA is alone is deciding what is democratic and what isn't...and then acting upon it by way of sanctions, invasion and installing puppet governments that do appeal to their sense of democracy...in other words, bullying.

Now, if this does not rile the indignation of independent countries then I don't know what will.

However, if someone can point to any other country that does likewise in such an arrogant fashion knowing that they are unbeatable, then I'll add them to the list of countries posing the greatest danger to peace as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    Neither did I!

As far as I can see, the USA is alone is deciding what is democratic and what isn't...and then acting upon it by way of sanctions, invasion and installing puppet governments that do appeal to their sense of democracy...in other words, bullying.

Now, if this does not rile the indignation of independent countries then I don't know what will.

However, if someone can point to any other country that does likewise in such an arrogant fashion knowing that they are unbeatable, then I'll add them to the list of countries posing the greatest danger to peace as well.
    I can only refer you to post #11. Enjoy

ReputationRep:
    The next war of any not will be Iran/USA.
    I cant really see anyone starting anything other than those two.

'World peace' is not at risk. Other than the USA there is no country capable of starting anything large scale.

ReputationRep:
    Hell, I'm an a American and I'm certain the only answer to this poll is the United States of America....my country scares the crap out of me on a daily basis. Its also really the only one on the list both powerful and foolhardy enough to consider starting multiple wars around the globe. Just look at the list and think about which nations have the capacity to do the most damage to world peace....then think about which one is most likely to throw around its power without thinking it through.....you're pretty much left with the United States.

Any of the other countries you'd remotely consider...Iran, Russia, North Korea, China are either content with regional power and/or minor sabre rattling....or smart enough to know that although they might be able to hold their own in the major war...its not worth the economic and financial cost.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dcarsten)
    Hell, I'm an a American and I'm certain the only answer to this poll is the United States of America....my country scares the crap out of me on a daily basis. Its also really the only one on the list both powerful and foolhardy enough to consider starting multiple wars around the globe. Just look at the list and think about which nations have the capacity to do the most damage to world peace....then think about which one is most likely to throw around its power without thinking it through.....you're pretty much left with the United States.

Any of the other countries you'd remotely consider...Iran, Russia, North Korea, China are either content with regional power and/or minor sabre rattling....or smart enough to know that although they might be able to hold their own in the major war...its not worth the economic and financial cost.
    I present this as evidence that the American people are not jackass's! Just their leaders :P
    This man speaks like the many Americans I have the pleasure to be friends with.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.