Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Will my A levels stop me from being able to do medicine?

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,
    I'm a second year biochemistry student who is planning on applying for the 5 year medicine course in 2018. I know there is a 4 year course available for graduates but the competition is too high so I will be applying to 2 grad courses and 2 undergraduate courses (money isn't really a problem). My A levels aren't great BCC with a C in both biology and chemistry. I'm doing well in my current university course and studying hard so I should be getting a 2:1 minimum. I'm currently getting quite abit of experience by working in a hospice and a food bank.
    My question is will my A-levels hinder me from being able to get into 5 year med courses? Its really stressing me out because medicine is all I have ever wanted to do.

ReputationRep:
    Is medicine something you wanted to do or something your parents want you to do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samantham999)
    Is medicine something you wanted to do or something your parents want you to do?
    Its something that I wanted to do for sure but my parents are very supportive of it.

ReputationRep:
    I checked what the KCL website says:

"Graduate applicants to A100 do not normally have to satisfy the usual A/AS-Level or other entry requirements (eg you are not expected to have AAA at A-level at the first attempt). The minimum entry requirement is a grade B at A-Level Chemistry and Biology plus an upper second class honours degree (a lower second class honours degree is acceptable combined with a master’s degree with at least a merit). Graduates who have a sufficient quantity of Biology or Chemistry as part of their degree may not need the A-Level in this subject."

It's not obvious how they would react to your situation - I mean they won't like the Cs in both bio and chem but on the other hand your degree has a great deal of both and you're obviously doing better now. I'd start bombarding universities with emails and ask them what they think. I'm sure there will be at least some that wouldn't have a problem with your qualifications best of luck!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StationToStation)
    I checked what the KCL website says:

"Graduate applicants to A100 do not normally have to satisfy the usual A/AS-Level or other entry requirements (eg you are not expected to have AAA at A-level at the first attempt). The minimum entry requirement is a grade B at A-Level Chemistry and Biology plus an upper second class honours degree (a lower second class honours degree is acceptable combined with a master’s degree with at least a merit). Graduates who have a sufficient quantity of Biology or Chemistry as part of their degree may not need the A-Level in this subject."

It's not obvious how they would react to your situation - I mean they won't like the Cs in both bio and chem but on the other hand your degree has a great deal of both and you're obviously doing better now. I'd start bombarding universities with emails and ask them what they think. I'm sure there will be at least some that wouldn't have a problem with your qualifications best of luck!!
    Thank you, I guess I better start doing some research into the unis and hope some look past my awful A levels xD

Poll
How are you feeling about your exams so far?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.