Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Charge density & reactivty

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I'm still on GCSE, but I was reading some things in my free time that led me into polarisation and charge density. So I was wondering- would you say charge density is a factor that affects reactivity of metal ions??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PixelatedOwl)
    Hi. I'm still on GCSE, but I was reading some things in my free time that led me into polarisation and charge density. So I was wondering- would you say charge density is a factor that affects reactivity of metal ions??
    EDIT: Sorry, have not read your post carefully.

The charge density in terms of ions means the charge per volume. So the ratio of those quantities for ions determine the charge density. The greater the charge density of an (metal) ion in comparison to another one, the greater the attraction and thus the reactivity of those ions each other. This goes for both the positive and negative charge.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: November 14, 2016
Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.