The Student Room Group

Edexcel D1: Dijkstra's Algorithm, Edexcel FP2: FODE's and M2: Exam Question

D1: Upon selecting an arc to be part of your route, must the next arc be adjacent to the one previously selected?
FP2: Does anyone know a good way to quickly deduce whether or not the FODE can be solved using the 'separating the variables' technique?
M2: Can someone help me with Q8 part c, please?

http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Mathematics/2013/Exam%20materials/6678_01_que_20090522.pdf

Please don't worry if you can't answer all three! I'm grateful for any assistance offered!
You connect nodes, the node selected has to be the one with the lowest working value that hasn't been selected already.

It is usually easy to see, if you can divide and multiply to get one variable on each side, then you can separate the variables.
Original post by NotNotBatman
You connect nodes, the node selected has to be the one with the lowest working value that hasn't been selected already.

It is usually easy to see, if you can divide and multiply to get one variable on each side, then you can separate the variables.

Alright, thank you very much!
Original post by AlphaArgonian
D1: Upon selecting an arc to be part of your route, must the next arc be adjacent to the one previously selected?
FP2: Does anyone know a good way to quickly deduce whether or not the FODE can be solved using the 'separating the variables' technique?

http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Mathematics/2013/Exam%20materials/6678_01_que_20090522.pdf

Please don't worry if you can't answer all three! I'm grateful for any assistance offered!

You can use separating the variables if your equation is of the form: dydx=f(x)g(y) \frac{dy}{dx} = f(x)g(y)

You need an integrating factor if it's of the form p(x)dydx+q(x)y=r(x) p(x) \frac{dy}{dx} + q(x)y=r(x)

Work out the speed of B after the collision in terms of the coefficient of restitution between B and C and show that B travels away from A, rather than towards it, so that there is no further collision - this is usual strategy for this sort of question.

Quick Reply

Latest