Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Im in year 11 and I'm quite interested in A level law and Government and Politics.
    Could somebody tell me what you learn in both courses and which one would go better with English literature, business and a language. Also which looks better to get into university and what type of jobs would both of these lead to
    Thanks
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by Fox Corner)
    x
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently doing G&P and I can tell you that I've never regretted picking the subject.

It is very gripping, interesting and relates to every aspect of society. I know some people that do languages(a girl of mine is doing German with Politics) and others that do English Literature.

I'm not so sure about Law because I honestly know nothing about it.

Both of the A level subjects could lead you to a different job sector such as the Business sector to Civil Service.

But, I highly recommend you research about what you will learn in the different A level subjects which will help you figure out which A level subject is for you. As well as what job sectors they tend to lead to. Generally, with your subject choice, it all depends on your passion, your interest and whether or not it will lead to your preferred career, if you have one.

Don't worry you have plenty of time! The subject choice you pick now wouldn't determine that you will end up picking it after you get your results.

Good luck and I hope you have successes in your exams as well as everything to come!

ReputationRep:
    Do you have any ideas as to which course at uni you want to study?

If you are thinking about applying to competitive unis to study Law, do not study Law at A-level. Unis such as Oxbridge and LSE explicitly say they do not class A-level Law as traditionally academic. It's seen as a "soft subject". However, your other choices sound good.

Also, A-levels don't really lead to or matter to careers, with the exception of STEM. If you are thinking about studying a STEM subject or medicine then obviously chose science-based A-levels. Ultimately it's your degree and people skills which are decisive factors in landing you a job.

ReputationRep:
    When I studied A level law for AS we did the courts, how a bill is passed, for criminal we did stuff like Assault and battery. For civil law we focused on Tort negligence. and for A2 we did defences of murder and it was a bit more philosophical so looked at Mill, Bentham etc. It was really interesting and a lot of fun but there is so much memorising to do, you have to remember case names, dates and detail and it's quite full on.

I also did politics and learnt about Parliament, different political parties, and A2 was really intense we learnt about 8 different ideologies and that involved a lot of memorising and answer planning to but was also interesting and fun. the most important thing is to know the content you'll be learning and see how that would work with you

(Original post by Defraction)
    I'm currently doing G&P and I can tell you that I've never regretted picking the subject.

It is very gripping, interesting and relates to every aspect of society. I know some people that do languages(a girl of mine is doing German with Politics) and others that do English Literature.

I'm not so sure about Law because I honestly know nothing about it.

Both of the A level subjects could lead you to a different job sector such as the Business sector to Civil Service.

But, I highly recommend you research about what you will learn in the different A level subjects which will help you figure out which A level subject is for you. As well as what job sectors they tend to lead to. Generally, with your subject choice, it all depends on your passion, your interest and whether or not it will lead to your preferred career, if you have one.

Don't worry you have plenty of time! The subject choice you pick now wouldn't determine that you will end up picking it after you get your results.

Good luck and I hope you have successes in your exams as well as everything to come!
    (Original post by itsnaimah)
    When I studied A level law for AS we did the courts, how a bill is passed, for criminal we did stuff like Assault and battery. For civil law we focused on Tort negligence. and for A2 we did defences of murder and it was a bit more philosophical so looked at Mill, Bentham etc. It was really interesting and a lot of fun but there is so much memorising to do, you have to remember case names, dates and detail and it's quite full on.

I also did politics and learnt about Parliament, different political parties, and A2 was really intense we learnt about 8 different ideologies and that involved a lot of memorising and answer planning to but was also interesting and fun. the most important thing is to know the content you'll be learning and see how that would work with you
    politics is so vast. there's so much to learn. it doesn't help that the current textbooks are outdated. and till today nobody has actually posted clearly on the forum in great detail as to how to answer the various marker questions for edexcel govt and politics. you will fail the exam if you do not know what is expected of you in the exam in terms of writing out a good answer as per the required answer format.
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Closed to prevent flaming.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.