Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I want to know my chances of getting an interview at Cambridge (or any of the other higher Russel Group universities) to study English Literature. My GCSEs went really badly, I got AAABBCCCC and a distinction in IT, I'm incredibly disappointed.

I've been doing well enough at college so far and have been getting B+'s and the odd A in my assessments, which I think is quite good for the first term? I've been told that I'm good in interview situations, I think this is because I enjoy answering interesting questions and justifying my opinions, so I could potentially be seen as a strong candidate in an interview. However, I'm worried that universities will look at my GCSEs on my application form and won't consider me at all. If I had really strong AS results, do you think I'd stand a chance of getting interviewed?

If it makes any difference, I live in a deprived area and went to a school that regularly achieves poor GCSE results. On top of my studies I play two instruments (grade 6 distinction in one, grade 5 distinction in the other) and am in my county orchestra.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IslaRM)
    I want to know my chances of getting an interview at Cambridge (or any of the other higher Russel Group universities) to study English Literature. My GCSEs went really badly, I got AAABBCCCC and a distinction in IT, I'm incredibly disappointed.

I've been doing well enough at college so far and have been getting B+'s and the odd A in my assessments, which I think is quite good for the first term? I've been told that I'm good in interview situations, I think this is because I enjoy answering interesting questions and justifying my opinions, so I could potentially be seen as a strong candidate in an interview. However, I'm worried that universities will look at my GCSEs on my application form and won't consider me at all. If I had really strong AS results, do you think I'd stand a chance of getting interviewed?

If it makes any difference, I live in a deprived area and went to a school that regularly achieves poor GCSE results. On top of my studies I play two instruments (grade 6 distinction in one, grade 5 distinction in the other) and am in my county orchestra.
    I'm afraid your extra curricular won't be important for Cambridge ( other unis place more emphasis on them though). Don't worry about your GCSE's. For now concentrate upon working with your teachers to consistently achieve A grades (the odd A*) to make you a competitive applicant next year. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 210555)
    I'm afraid your extra curricular won't be important for Cambridge ( other unis place more emphasis on them though). Don't worry about your GCSE's. For now concentrate upon working with your teachers to consistently achieve A grades (the odd A*) to make you a competitive applicant next year. Good luck
    Ahh that's a shame! Thank you very much for your help

ReputationRep:
    you need all As at AS wih minimum 85%+ then u hav a shot at an inerview

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samendrag)
    Not true, just because many people who do get an offer for Cambridge achieve this doesn't mean that it's a necessity.

ReputationRep:

Why don't you just concentrate on getting good results and apply with your results - i.e. take a gap year. It takes the pressure off you and you can do some really good stuff in the meantime.

Everyone has a chance - it is a question of how you approach these things. But Oxbridge is not the be all and end all. My daughter turned down a place at Cambridge to go to Imperial - there are other universities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by george_c00per)
    Not true, just because many people who do get an offer for Cambridge achieve this doesn't mean that it's a necessity.
    This.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:

If, by next September, you are realistically on target to achieve the typical Cambridge offer (A*AA) then apply. Your contextual information (poor school, etc) will also be taken into account.

Cambridge interviews approx 80% of applicants.

(Original post by samendrag)
    Nope. People have received offers with AABD at AS-level. And most won't have UMS any more either.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.