Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

What are my chances of getting a Cambridge interview?

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    I want to know my chances of getting an interview at Cambridge (or any of the other higher Russel Group universities) to study English Literature. My GCSEs went really badly, I got AAABBCCCC and a distinction in IT, I'm incredibly disappointed.

I've been doing well enough at college so far and have been getting B+'s and the odd A in my assessments, which I think is quite good for the first term? I've been told that I'm good in interview situations, I think this is because I enjoy answering interesting questions and justifying my opinions, so I could potentially be seen as a strong candidate in an interview. However, I'm worried that universities will look at my GCSEs on my application form and won't consider me at all. If I had really strong AS results, do you think I'd stand a chance of getting interviewed?

If it makes any difference, I live in a deprived area and went to a school that regularly achieves poor GCSE results. On top of my studies I play two instruments (grade 6 distinction in one, grade 5 distinction in the other) and am in my county orchestra.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IslaRM)
    I want to know my chances of getting an interview at Cambridge (or any of the other higher Russel Group universities) to study English Literature. My GCSEs went really badly, I got AAABBCCCC and a distinction in IT, I'm incredibly disappointed.

I've been doing well enough at college so far and have been getting B+'s and the odd A in my assessments, which I think is quite good for the first term? I've been told that I'm good in interview situations, I think this is because I enjoy answering interesting questions and justifying my opinions, so I could potentially be seen as a strong candidate in an interview. However, I'm worried that universities will look at my GCSEs on my application form and won't consider me at all. If I had really strong AS results, do you think I'd stand a chance of getting interviewed?

If it makes any difference, I live in a deprived area and went to a school that regularly achieves poor GCSE results. On top of my studies I play two instruments (grade 6 distinction in one, grade 5 distinction in the other) and am in my county orchestra.
    I'm afraid your extra curricular won't be important for Cambridge ( other unis place more emphasis on them though). Don't worry about your GCSE's. For now concentrate upon working with your teachers to consistently achieve A grades (the odd A*) to make you a competitive applicant next year. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 210555)
    I'm afraid your extra curricular won't be important for Cambridge ( other unis place more emphasis on them though). Don't worry about your GCSE's. For now concentrate upon working with your teachers to consistently achieve A grades (the odd A*) to make you a competitive applicant next year. Good luck
    Ahh that's a shame! Thank you very much for your help

ReputationRep:
    you need all As at AS wih minimum 85%+ then u hav a shot at an inerview

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samendrag)
    Not true, just because many people who do get an offer for Cambridge achieve this doesn't mean that it's a necessity.

ReputationRep:

Why don't you just concentrate on getting good results and apply with your results - i.e. take a gap year. It takes the pressure off you and you can do some really good stuff in the meantime.

Everyone has a chance - it is a question of how you approach these things. But Oxbridge is not the be all and end all. My daughter turned down a place at Cambridge to go to Imperial - there are other universities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by george_c00per)
    Not true, just because many people who do get an offer for Cambridge achieve this doesn't mean that it's a necessity.
    This.

ReputationRep:

If, by next September, you are realistically on target to achieve the typical Cambridge offer (A*AA) then apply. Your contextual information (poor school, etc) will also be taken into account.

Cambridge interviews approx 80% of applicants.

(Original post by samendrag)
    Nope. People have received offers with AABD at AS-level. And most won't have UMS any more either.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.