GCSE Maths minimum point help Watch

hpq
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
The equation (x^2/10)-3x is drawn (not sure how to draw it on here, it was shown passing through (0,0)). Find the depth of the shaded area (this area was the 'bowl' underneath the x-axis). Essentially, it was asking for the minimum point.

This question was in a non-calculator GCSE paper. I know that this can be solved easily by differentiating, but this isn't taught at GCSE? I do FSMQ, which is why I was able to solve this, but will I get the marks? How can this be solved without differentiating?
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by hpq)
The equation (x^2/10)-3x is drawn (not sure how to draw it on here, it was shown passing through (0,0)). Find the depth of the shaded area (this area was the 'bowl' underneath the x-axis). Essentially, it was asking for the minimum point.

This question was in a non-calculator GCSE paper. I know that this can be solved easily by differentiating, but this isn't taught at GCSE? I do FSMQ, which is why I was able to solve this, but will I get the marks? How can this be solved without differentiating?
Typically for a quadratic you find the two roots of the graph (x-intercepts) and the minimum is in the middle of those two points.
B_9710
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by hpq)

Completing the square is a standard GCSE method.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (214)
12.6%
Excited (156)
9.19%
Worried (305)
17.96%
Terrified (378)
22.26%
Meh (162)
9.54%
Confused (37)
2.18%