Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Studying languages?

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently studying French Spanish and Chemistry at A level (I didn't do Spanish GCSE so I'm 'ab initio' however I've progressed quickly and now on the gifted and talented after 7 weeks. For university I used to want to do something in sciences or thought I should anyway because I attended a sciences and maths selective school - but now I've shifted to languages. I have 2-3 main questions so I'll lay this out clearly NB: I speak high level French italian and German and I have a goof understanding of Spanish and Russian.

1) I 100% want to do 3 languages and 2 of them have to be French and German (I'm almost proficient in French and I love German, it's at a high level but nowhere close to my French) my 3 choices are - French, German and Russian OR French German and Spanish OR French German and Italian (I know it's my decision but all opinions are welcome )

2) anyone who's doing languages at uni/done them, how are you finding them and what do they usually lead to?

3) slight contradiction but is it possible to do law with 2 languages (I won't push it with 3 lol) and of course they'd be French and German.

Thanks in advance for all replies!

ReputationRep:
    I doubt that you'd be able to do French, German and Russian, or French, German and Italian. Most universities will let you take one language that you don't have an A level in, but not two. Even if you speak some of the language already, the admissions department will want to see some formal proof of ability. I don't think it is possible to combine law (or any other subject) with two languages, either.

Personally, I dislike three-language degrees because you don't learn as much as you would in a conventional two-language degree; it's a jack of all trades kind of degree. If you are serious about doing languages then I think you should consider just doing two, or combining one with another subject like law or even a science. You could study extra languages in your free time at the university language centre, but it wouldn't form part of your degree.

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.