Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now
    • Thread Starter

    I'm currently studying French Spanish and Chemistry at A level (I didn't do Spanish GCSE so I'm 'ab initio' however I've progressed quickly and now on the gifted and talented after 7 weeks. For university I used to want to do something in sciences or thought I should anyway because I attended a sciences and maths selective school - but now I've shifted to languages. I have 2-3 main questions so I'll lay this out clearly NB: I speak high level French italian and German and I have a goof understanding of Spanish and Russian.

    1) I 100% want to do 3 languages and 2 of them have to be French and German (I'm almost proficient in French and I love German, it's at a high level but nowhere close to my French) my 3 choices are - French, German and Russian OR French German and Spanish OR French German and Italian (I know it's my decision but all opinions are welcome )

    2) anyone who's doing languages at uni/done them, how are you finding them and what do they usually lead to?

    3) slight contradiction but is it possible to do law with 2 languages (I won't push it with 3 lol) and of course they'd be French and German.

    Thanks in advance for all replies!
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

    I doubt that you'd be able to do French, German and Russian, or French, German and Italian. Most universities will let you take one language that you don't have an A level in, but not two. Even if you speak some of the language already, the admissions department will want to see some formal proof of ability. I don't think it is possible to combine law (or any other subject) with two languages, either.

    Personally, I dislike three-language degrees because you don't learn as much as you would in a conventional two-language degree; it's a jack of all trades kind of degree. If you are serious about doing languages then I think you should consider just doing two, or combining one with another subject like law or even a science. You could study extra languages in your free time at the university language centre, but it wouldn't form part of your degree.
How are you feeling about your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.