This discussion is closed.
Leo_24
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm currently studying French Spanish and Chemistry at A level (I didn't do Spanish GCSE so I'm 'ab initio' however I've progressed quickly and now on the gifted and talented after 7 weeks. For university I used to want to do something in sciences or thought I should anyway because I attended a sciences and maths selective school - but now I've shifted to languages. I have 2-3 main questions so I'll lay this out clearly NB: I speak high level French italian and German and I have a goof understanding of Spanish and Russian.

1) I 100% want to do 3 languages and 2 of them have to be French and German (I'm almost proficient in French and I love German, it's at a high level but nowhere close to my French) my 3 choices are - French, German and Russian OR French German and Spanish OR French German and Italian (I know it's my decision but all opinions are welcome )

2) anyone who's doing languages at uni/done them, how are you finding them and what do they usually lead to?

3) slight contradiction but is it possible to do law with 2 languages (I won't push it with 3 lol) and of course they'd be French and German.

Thanks in advance for all replies!
Snufkin
Badges: 21
Report 3 years ago
I doubt that you'd be able to do French, German and Russian, or French, German and Italian. Most universities will let you take one language that you don't have an A level in, but not two. Even if you speak some of the language already, the admissions department will want to see some formal proof of ability. I don't think it is possible to combine law (or any other subject) with two languages, either.

Personally, I dislike three-language degrees because you don't learn as much as you would in a conventional two-language degree; it's a jack of all trades kind of degree. If you are serious about doing languages then I think you should consider just doing two, or combining one with another subject like law or even a science. You could study extra languages in your free time at the university language centre, but it wouldn't form part of your degree.
Must4fa
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes, there are 3 languages degrees, however two of them have to be studied at a Level. So the only combination that you could do is French, German and Spanish with German being your ‘new’ one. Studying 3 languages at degree just means that there will be less literature, history and politics classes and more focus on the actual language learning.
StrangeLilBean
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
University of Sheffield allows two languages ab initio in a three languages degree

They're also pretty flexible with helping you find the right German class if you've learnt some before (whereas for French they're much stricter on sorting by qualification).
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (63)
15%
I'm not sure (14)
3.33%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (142)
33.81%
I have already dropped out (6)
1.43%
I'm not a current university student (195)
46.43%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise