Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Gaming in halls?

ReputationRep:
    I'm an avid gamer and I am looking at applying for universities next year, is it possible to play online games in halls? If so is it good? I don't want to be lagging constantly. I am mainly looking at Liverpool, Newcastle and Sheffield but I am interested in others as well, thanks

ReputationRep:
    I studied at UWS and despite being in an area that gets the worst phone reception it had pretty decent internet speed. Better than I had at my parents house at the time, actually, lol. I was playing a lot of League of Legends and Heroes of the Storm at the time and I rarely experienced lag. However that was the limit. I could only play PC games online. Trying to get my consoles online was impossible (although I did find a naughty workaround for my 3DS, hehe. Although I couldn't play games online - it just enabled me to download from the Nintendo Store).

ReputationRep:
    Gaming doesn't require huge amounts of data to be transferred in most cases. You'll probably use more data downloading a game than you actually will playing it over a month. So on the speed front you'll probably be totally fine. Of course that depends on the uni and halls you get. But I'm in a 700+ person building, WiFi gives around 20Mb on a good day, often far less and I have no trouble gaming.

ReputationRep:
    In my experience the connection speed and latency in game should be fine, the main problem is because of the size/security of uni internet. Most uni's use providers such as resnet will result in the NAT type always being strict, this means that you will be unable to connect to anyone who's NAT is not open and sometimes not even them, this mainly affects the time it takes to connect to online matches and will simply require a bit of patience (nothing to extreme just a few extra seconds), however if you are a competitive player in a console game such as COD, or like to host your own server on Minecraft (obviously you can not port forward your server, and only others on the same connection would be able to join) for example, this would require you to be able to connect to opposition who may not have open NAT, and there will also be many who struggle to connect to your host.
    Basically if you are on PC you should be fine as you will be able to connect to most dedicated servers and the connection speed/ping should be fantastic, however on console you may struggle to connect/play with friends or set-up private matches/servers.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.