The Student Room Group

AS to A2 switch......chemistry stuff

I achieved 247/300 in chemistry(7 into A) . I'm curious as to whether with only 7 marks over an A, if it's possible for me to maintain the A next year or not? I mean if i'm only7 marks over at AS, is A2 that much harder that i'm destined to do worse?

Do people traditionally tend to lower a grade as they progress to A2 if theyre near the boundary?
Although A2 chem is harder, I think that the grade you'll get will also depend on how hard you'll actually work next year. Just try your best and surely you'll get the grade you deserve.

Eg. This year I've been REALLY lazy and got what I deserved in my AS chem: a C. Next year I'll be working much more harder!
Reply 2
my results:

Chem AS: 277 decent A
Chem A2: 419 ridiculously high C

verdict the gap between AS and A2 is astronomical
Reply 3
Well your A trounces all over mine. Im well and truly screwed :frown:. Did you apply the same amount of work? That's some scary ****. =/
You've got to be kidding me. I only got 238 in my Chemistry AS and I'm aiming for an A. I'll be resitting a module to bump my UMS marks up hopefully though.
7 marks into an A is fine!!!

It's an A grade at the end of the day, and thats what uni's will see.

As for maintaining it, its purely down to how much revision you do. I know many people who have achieved higher grades at A2 level than AS, due to sheer hard work. It's really down to you, if you can understand it, and apply your knowledge, there is no reason why you can't get higher in A2.

Don't forget, the grade boundaries are so much lower in A2, so if you could work that extra bit harder, you'l have the last laugh.
Reply 6
not sure
Chem A2 is not hard at all. You can get an A. Work hard!
If you resist, you could try to get 90/90 for U1 and 2 - fairly easy to bump up your UMS but my advice is trying to understand chem then u will see everything is worked out clearly. They're all linked - magic :P
You'll be fine...

At AS I got 209/300 (1 off a B), and then at A2 479/600 (1 off an A)... Dammit...

I think the second year is actually easier than the step up from GCSE to AS...
:eek: help!!!!!!
this is to anyone that can help me i got for my AS's an A in sociology a C in english and a d in biology i don't know if i should drop biology and do 2 AS or keep with it
reply asap!!
Keep with it! If your looking to apply to University, you really need 3 A Levels minimum...

You will have to do a few resits in January, and put alot more work in next year though!

If not, then its up to you...
Reply 10
You'll be fine I'm sure as long as you set aside at least two days to revise (cram!) for each exam. But most people don't like to cut it that fine, so maybe a month would be better.

Anyway, this is what I got, had I not bothered to resit anything:

CH1 - 86/105 - A
CH2 - 82/105 - B
CH3 - 68/90 - B

AS total - 236/300 - B (high B, but I was aiming for an A)

CH4 - 62/90 - C
CH5 - 89/90 - A (!?!?)
CH6 - 105/120 - A

Grand hypothetical A-level total - 492/600 - A

As it was, I wasn't going to leave everything to having one lucky paper (CH5 proved to be very good) so I resat:

CH1 - 101/105 - A
CH2 - 100/105 - A
CH4 - 89/90 - A

So my UMS ultimately were 552/600.

I would have been allright in the end without spending a small fortune on resits. But I probably would have given up completely on CH5 and failed that, and got a B in the end without the motivation of having spent most of my savings over the last year on getting various papers back and resitting them.
Yes you can maintain it. I got a higher A in A2 than AS, but that's probably also down to nicer grade boundaries.

You should probably think about retaking overlapping modules though. I dont know what syllabus you're doing but for example, OCR Unit 4 pretty much covers everything of Unit 2, so retaking Unit 2 at the same sitting is a good idea. Likewise Units 3 & 6 overlap.

Latest