Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Split Contribution for assessing maintenance loan

ReputationRep:
    Picking up on the thread below I'm confused about the guidance on Split Contribution for assessing maintenance loan for siblings attending University.

I currently have one daughter at University (Cohort 2016) who receives the minimum maintenance loan of £3,821 as our joint income just exceeds the upper threshold of £62,810. I have another daughter who is planning to go to University in September 2017 and wondered if she too would receive the minimum loan or whether both their loans would increase given we have to support both from the same assessed joint income.

I have phoned Student Finance England today and they said the split contribution means that £1,130 is deducted from our joint income regardless of whether the other child is at school or in FE. However this makes little difference to the loan - it would only increase to £4,055.

The advisor made no reference to the guidance which says that parental contribution assessed after deduction of this figure is divided by the number of eligible students supported (schedule 4 paragraph 10).

Can any expert advise on whether my own calculations below are correct?

2017 Cohort

Maximum loan = £8,240
    Loan assessed on our joint income of £61k (inc the £1,030 deduction) = £4,055
    Our contribution = £8,240-£4,055 = £4,375
    Split contribution between two = £4,375/2 =£2,187.50
    Loan for each student = £8,240 - £2,187.50 = £6242.50

ReputationRep:
    The loan for 2017 intake is slightly higher. I'm not too sure what it is yet.

Both loans would increase. Don't think your maths is correct though. As far as I'm aware, there's no calculator which takes into account when you have more than student at uni.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.