Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

Graduate unemployed for 3 years only worked for 3 months

ReputationRep:
    So I have spent 3 years unemployed. And I'm starting to panic a bit now. I did spend about 3 months working in a shop but I was laid off in the end.

I am now panicking because it has just hit me that I'm unemployable and might have to spend the rest of my life unemployed. I have volunteered at charity shops for a long time, but quite frankly that isn't enough for some jobs.

ReputationRep:
    How did it get to that stage?

ReputationRep:
    What degree do you have? What kind of career do you want? You're not unemployable. Don't give up yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by l'etranger)
    How did it get to that stage?
    There is always someone who beats me to a job I think it was down to luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 888812)
    Yeah but 3 years, you could send out at least one job application every day and you would have put out over 1000.

ReputationRep:
    how have you spent 3 years unemployed? No offence, I just think you are not ambitious enough.

So I have spent 3 years unemployed. And I'm starting to panic a bit now. I did spend about 3 months working in a shop but I was laid off in the end.

I am now panicking because it has just hit me that I'm unemployable and might have to spend the rest of my life unemployed. I have volunteered at charity shops for a long time, but quite frankly that isn't enough for some jobs.
    I highly doubt you are unemployable.

The panic isnt going to get you anywhere.

You need to review and improve your jobhunting skills.

It would be best if you went and saw a careers adviser or joined a job club. You give very little information here and you need someone to assess and understand whats happened and why.

In most cases it will be your search skills, application, or interviews that are defective. There is luck involved, but also you can create some of your own and persevere. Dont give in, just get smart. I do understand how it can happen, but that is all past now and you need to move forward.

(Original post by samantham999)
    how have you spent 3 years unemployed? No offence, I just think you are not ambitious enough.
    What do you mean by ambition? they give very little ifnormation, so how did you reach that conclusion?

ReputationRep:

It took you 3 years to 'panic a bit'?

What sort of job do you want? What will it take to achieve that job? What steps can you take now to set yourself in the right direction?

ReputationRep:
    It is never just down to luck, there is always some improvement you could have made, I know this from 12 months of job hunting.

ReputationRep:
    got any friends/family which have there own business or self employed? just say you were working for them as work experience/voluntary....which will close that gap a little

3 years isnt that much tbh...it really depends on your age...

whats the worst thing that will happen? getting rejected? getting told no? it happens mate.... some people just take longer to find a job

Don't be afraid... you will regret it in the future

get your foot in the door!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samantham999)
    Not everyone is blessed enough to get the jobs they apply for. I've applied for jobs for 2 years and got nothing. What makes me different to someone else? Probably just comes down to my personality. It disgusts me seeing someone in a shop (for example) not doing what they're meant to be doing, yet somehow they got the job there and I didn't. It's not always about ambition. It's a multitude of factors. Sometimes you have to take anything you can get.
    Also. After trying so hard you lose heart and confidence to get a job. You stop and think 'what was the point in getting my a levels or degree if I can't get a simple job?' So you lower your standards because being ambitious in the first place got you nowhere.
    Saying "no offence" doesn't necessarily make it any less offensive. To be honest, how dare you. You don't know what they've strived for etc.
    Finally, asking how they've spent three years unemployed is one hell of a stupid question. I feel they knew that, they'd have a job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manny0121)
    got any friends/family which have there own business or self employed? just say you were working for them as work experience/voluntary....which will close that gap a little

3 years isnt that much tbh...it really depends on your age...

whats the worst thing that will happen? getting rejected? getting told no? it happens mate.... some people just take longer to find a job

Don't be afraid... you will regret it in the future

get your foot in the door!

I'm tempted to do that, but I don't like lying to people. What if I get found out and I'm then instantly fired. My problem is I'm just too honest, and not too cunning or like to deceive others to get to where I want in life.
    I think this is why I'm often over looked for jobs. And after a couple of years of unemployment you just think **** it.

It's a dog eat dog world out there, and if you aren't prepared to step on others to get to where you want then I'm afraid like me you will be stuck on the bottom.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katyuiop)
    Not everyone is blessed enough to get the jobs they apply for. I've applied for jobs for 2 years and got nothing. What makes me different to someone else? Probably just comes down to my personality. It disgusts me seeing someone in a shop (for example) not doing what they're meant to be doing, yet somehow they got the job there and I didn't. It's not always about ambition. It's a multitude of factors. Sometimes you have to take anything you can get.
    Also. After trying so hard you lose heart and confidence to get a job. You stop and think 'what was the point in getting my a levels or degree if I can't get a simple job?' So you lower your standards because being ambitious in the first place got you nowhere.
    Saying "no offence" doesn't necessarily make it any less offensive. To be honest, how dare you. You don't know what they've strived for etc.
    Finally, asking how they've spent three years unemployed is one hell of a stupid question. I feel they knew that, they'd have a job.
    YES FINALLY SOMEONE WHO UNDERSTANDS WHERE I'M COMING FROM.
    These ****ers don't understand how it feels like sending 1000's of applications and not getting anywhere with it. Just because they were so lucky to get the first job they've applied for or they have connections to help them out doesn't mean others should be finding it easy like them.

Omg it pains me to see little 16 year olds being picked for jobs but that's how this ****ed up world works

ReputationRep:
    No, no, no - it is not down to luck, stop making excuses for yourself. The person who got hired was simply a better candidate for the job than you were.

You need to take a long and critical look at yourself and determine just why you are continually unsuccessful. Lack of work experience? Poor interview techinque? Badly written CV? Too introverted? Poor personal hygiene? Repellent personality?

You can't just sit around moping and blaming other people, you have to take action, and take action fast.

ReputationRep:
    Graduates who fail to find to find well-paying and fulfilling jobs often suffer from poor interpersonal skills or held back by not so great academics. I suggest you visit a careers service or job centre.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by #ChaosKass)
    No, no, no - it is not down to luck, stop making excuses for yourself. The person who got hired was simply a better candidate for the job than you were.

You need to take a long and critical look at yourself and determine just why you are continually unsuccessful. Lack of work experience? Poor interview techinque? Badly written CV? Too introverted? Poor personal hygiene? Repellent personality?

You can't just sit around moping and blaming other people, you have to take action, and take action fast.
    A tough stance you take but I agree with you. There are so many graduates who come out of uni with an unhealthy sense of entitlement. Often the difference between the graduates who succeed and the ones that don't is down to mentality and people skills. Those who succeed don't blame others; they make an effort to push themselves and take control of their situation.

ReputationRep:
    You should check out this site, I found a job from it after having a gap year. Employers can come to you too instead of you applying all the time. I'm working as a student ambassador, if you're interested I can refer you too to earn a bit of extra cash, if it helped me I'm sure it could help you too. Ps you're not unemployable, just haven't found the right job!

https://join.magnet.me/u/angelarose.bagni.70730

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by habeas.corpus)
    Graduates who fail to find to find well-paying and fulfilling jobs often suffer from poor interpersonal skills or held back by not so great academics. I suggest you visit a careers service or job centre.
    I have never signed on at the Jobcentre, that place will just further kill what little motivation I have.

ReputationRep:
    Can I ask what your academic qualifications are? Have you graduated? This might be a starting point.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.