The Student Room Group

Cambridge Rejects 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kepler-16b
My friends all have offers, one of my best friends has 4 offers and a cambridge interview. Here I am, no offers and Cambridge rejection :':wink: I thought my predicted (IB 44) was good enough, but I must've messed up my NSAA and must have a pretty weak statement. Totally coping and don't want to cry, nope!

Where else have you applied? I'm sure you'll get some offers in soon. I have loads of friends who've not had any offers yet either.
Original post by Millyprice98
Where else have you applied? I'm sure you'll get some offers in soon. I have loads of friends who've not had any offers yet either.

Had an Imperial interview (stayed in there quite long and they asked me no general questions, only physics, so that probably didn't go well:frown: ), then St Andrews, Durham and Exeter (going to an interview in january tbh), so I do have interviews but not necessarily guaranteeing anything.
Had an Imperial interview (stayed in there quite long and they asked me no general questions, only physics, so that probably didn't go well:frown: ), then St Andrews, Durham and Exeter (going to an interview in january tbh), so I do have interviews but not necessarily guaranteeing anything.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you those are all great unis. Try and stay positive.
Reply 23
Rejected from Pembroke for Medicine

8A* 2A GCSEs
2A AS (philosophy-93% and maths-92% let down by S1)
BMAT: 4.7, 6, 3A
A Level Predicted A*A*A*A (Chem, Bio, Maths, Phil)

Was, and still, pretty devastated (and angry with myself) about being straight out rejected really had my heart set on Cambridge since about 12, might perhaps reapply next year...
Original post by thatawesomekid

8A* 2A GCSEs

Was, and still, pretty devastated (and angry with myself) about being straight out rejected really had my heart set on Cambridge since about 12, might perhaps reapply next year...

Your grades are great, what a shame! I was set on Cambridge too :frown: Still, I think we need to be rational and realise that we have a good shot at education elsewhere. Don't waste a year just for a shot again; make Cambridge regret rejecting you!
Hi, Mathmo reject here

All my friends got interview for maths except me, and we're all applying for the same course 😔😣
Your grades are great, what a shame! I was set on Cambridge too :frown: Still, I think we need to be rational and realise that we have a good shot at education elsewhere. Don't waste a year just for a shot again; make Cambridge regret rejecting you!

If you get 3 A*s at A-Level, reapplying next year is a decent option.
Original post by Inister
If you get 3 A*s at A-Level, reapplying next year is a decent option.

It's an option, but I think overall the negatives outweigh the positives. You don't know the candidates you'll be going up against, and unless you have the resources (money, time) for a good and useful gap year, I would rather get a masters/bachelors elsewhere and reapply for doctorate.
Original post by STRANGER2
Hi, Mathmo reject here

All my friends got interview for maths except me, and we're all applying for the same course 😔😣

Actually just kidding got an interview from Cambridge
Reply 29
Original post by STRANGER2
Actually just kidding got an interview from Cambridge

Wow :colonhash:

8A* 2A GCSEs

Any idea as to why you might have been rejected? That profile looks pretty strong on paper - so much for aiming to interview 'all suitably qualified applicants'.
Reply 31
Original post by Forecast
Any idea as to why you might have been rejected? That profile looks pretty strong on paper - so much for aiming to interview 'all suitably qualified applicants'.

Not really, but may have been getting 77 ums in S1. I've emailed them for feedback however they have told me I have to wait until Jan 10th. Anyway, definitely aiming to get 4A*s this year so that if I reapply, I'm in a much stronger position than this year

8A* 2A GCSEs

My son was rejected from Cauis for medicine. He's planning on taking a year out to work and bank up some money before reapplying next year with (hopefully good A-level grades behind him). He really liked the course structure at Cambridge but is going to try really hard for his other interviews (has 1 in January & hopefully more to come) so that if he doesn't get the A* fantasia he needs he's got a back-up. Good luck to you all!
Not really, but may have been getting 77 ums in S1. I've emailed them for feedback however they have told me I have to wait until Jan 10th. Anyway, definitely aiming to get 4A*s this year so that if I reapply, I'm in a much stronger position than this year

the 77 in stats is not the issue I think, I personally got the same and still got an interview for CompSci.
My AS grades are worse than most of you. I really do not know why you got rejected outright :frown:.
Original post by Dobroslav
the 77 in stats is not the issue I think, I personally got the same and still got an interview for CompSci.
My AS grades are worse than most of you. I really do not know why you got rejected outright :frown:.

what were your as grades?
Original post by jenniisobel
what were your as grades?

ABB
Original post by Dobroslav

They applied for Medicine, a course known for having many applicants with ridiculously high UMS, much more so than Comp Sci. Although it does seem harsh if that was the main reason for rejection.
Original post by Forecast
They applied for Medicine, a course known for having many applicants with ridiculously high UMS, much more so than Comp Sci. Although it does seem harsh if that was the main reason for rejection.

Particularly as they have been suggesting that they will not be using UMS as a way to seoect applicants due to the reformation of A levels...
Reply 38
Original post by Nicecuppat
Particularly as they have been suggesting that they will not be using UMS as a way to seoect applicants due to the reformation of A levels...

No, they use UMS whenever it is still available. They use all the data available to them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
No, they use UMS whenever it is still available. They use all the data available to them.
Oh right, I'm sure I've seen ATs on the thread saying 'now we haven't got UMS any more' etc. For someone with only one subject with UMS it would be quite a pity for them to lose out due to a poor module when someone else who didn't shine in a reformed exam effectively gets away with it! I think it's probably been a difficult year of entry with this mixed bag of UMS and admissions tests, it does sound like a few good candidates have slipped through the net.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending