Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Endometriosis

Hi,
    I have been on the pill for years now because my menstrual pain causes me to have to stay in bed/at home at least for my periods (I have endometriosis). This massively affected me at school and is currently affecting me at Uni.
    My mum's friend got sacked as she had to be off work every time she was on her period so I am very concerned for the future.
    My worst experience was passing out in the cinema and having to be carried out and have someone else call my mum to pick me up .........

Do any other women on here have these problems? Has anybody has a boss/manager accept this as an actual illness because most people think you're just being 'silly'? I have even had ultrasounds to check for cancer, that is how ridiculous my symptoms are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi,
    I have been on the pill for years now because my menstrual pain causes me to have to stay in bed/at home at least for my periods (I have endometriosis). This massively affected me at school and is currently affecting me at Uni.
    My mum's friend got sacked as she had to be off work every time she was on her period so I am very concerned for the future.
    My worst experience was passing out in the cinema and having to be carried out and have someone else call my mum to pick me up .........

Do any other women on here have these problems? Has anybody has a boss/manager accept this as an actual illness because most people think you're just being 'silly'? I have even had ultrasounds to check for cancer, that is how ridiculous my symptoms are.
    Hi there. I had an endometreosis scare about a year ago. Turns out I'm clear (had a lap to check), but I did a fair amount of reading before that. My current best bet is now IBS and I can manage my symptoms mostly using peppermint tablets and the pill. Btw peppermint tablets are magic! You can get them from the pharmacy and they work way better for cramps than normal painkillers. They're even what I used after my surgery. Give them a go next time you have pain and see if they work for you.

As far as work goes, if you have endo it will count as a medical condition so if you did have issues at work you could talk to HR about it. Reasonable adjustments should be mde for people with medical conditions. If you have a diagnosis it doesn't matter what your boss thinks- it is a medical condition and they have to accept it as one. You may have to go through paperwork etc for this, but they do need to accept it if you have a dagnosis.

Have you seen a gyno and had a laparoscopy for it btw? I believe removing the problem areas will help (until they grow back) and you can also get an injection regularly to stop your periods and prevent issues with that. If you haven't already I suggest you have a talk with a gyno about all your options.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I was diagnosed with endometriosis (and polycystic ovaries) two days ago. By the sound of it I had been suffering from it for the past 8 years. I'm sorry that you're having such a bad time with it despite the pill

I had only heard of it last year though when it went round the Guardian but I thought 'thats horrible but mine isn't thaaaat bad' because I don't throw up from pain. but more recently it did get bad enough for me to be totally incapacitated for 2 days a month - couldn't even study. I think I have a high pain threshold which is why I was able to study through it up till now with mefenamic acid. Anyway I definitely have it as they found womb tissue attached to some of my digestive organs during an ultrasound scan. I am going to be referred to the 'endometriosis clinic'.

since yesterday I've been reading everything I can find. The material I've read is frankly terrifying - I don't want to have operations! and I don't want to have to have operations to have a hope of ever having a child. I'm 22 and obviously didnt even want a baby any time soon but the idea that I might never be able to have one is one I'm finding hard to tolerate. The stuff on the internet is also totally conflicting and I don't know what to believe. the NHS website has almost no information although the 'Endometriosis UK' charity site seems good (but it still made me cry that it said women with stage 2 endometriosis have their conception rate reduced by 30% and for stage 3 and 4 by 75%).

do you know of any websites which are reliable and not sensational?

Did you find any pill which helped you? So far the ones I tried made me feel nauseuous 100% of the time so I preferred the period pain to that because I only got period pain 10 days a month (haha 'only') so that was still better than feeling sick to my stomach 24/7.

I also had IBS as a teenager and can recommend peppermint tablets!

(Original post by geesebewithyou)
    Hey, I was diagnosed with endometriosis (and polycystic ovaries) two days ago. By the sound of it I had been suffering from it for the past 8 years. I'm sorry that you're having such a bad time with it despite the pill

I had only heard of it last year though when it went round the Guardian but I thought 'thats horrible but mine isn't thaaaat bad' because I don't throw up from pain. but more recently it did get bad enough for me to be totally incapacitated for 2 days a month - couldn't even study. I think I have a high pain threshold which is why I was able to study through it up till now with mefenamic acid. Anyway I definitely have it as they found womb tissue attached to some of my digestive organs during an ultrasound scan. I am going to be referred to the 'endometriosis clinic'.

since yesterday I've been reading everything I can find. The material I've read is frankly terrifying - I don't want to have operations! and I don't want to have to have operations to have a hope of ever having a child. I'm 22 and obviously didnt even want a baby any time soon but the idea that I might never be able to have one is one I'm finding hard to tolerate. The stuff on the internet is also totally conflicting and I don't know what to believe. the NHS website has almost no information although the 'Endometriosis UK' charity site seems good (but it still made me cry that it said women with stage 2 endometriosis have their conception rate reduced by 30% and for stage 3 and 4 by 75%).

do you know of any websites which are reliable and not sensational?

Did you find any pill which helped you? So far the ones I tried made me feel nauseuous 100% of the time so I preferred the period pain to that because I only got period pain 10 days a month (haha 'only' so that was still better than feeling sick to my stomach 24/7.

I also had IBS as a teenager and can recommend peppermint tablets!
    Thanks for thr advice I'm on the Microgynon pill and it does help (when not on the period break...)
    I also take Mefenamic acid and it helps to an extent but still just not enough to feel confident in going out, you know? Because of bad things happening in the past I have an anxiety about going out JUST INCASE.

I alsooo have the same issues with the websites, people just don't seem to know enough about it.

I luckily know I won't ever be wanting kids anyway so I wouldn't mind that part, it's all just a bit cruel isn't it.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: December 2, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.