Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I've just been doing a question about amines and I've got the answer but I'm not sure what's happening in terms of H+ ions e.t.c.

1. Phenylamine isn't very soluble in water. It forms oil drops that float on the water. Predict what you see when you add conc HCL- the oily drops dissolve to form a colourless solution.

Then add NAOH and the oily drops reappear.

Any explanation would be really appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VioletPhillippo)
    Hi,

I've just been doing a question about amines and I've got the answer but I'm not sure what's happening in terms of H+ ions e.t.c.

1. Phenylamine isn't very soluble in water. It forms oil drops that float on the water. Predict what you see when you add conc HCL- the oily drops dissolve to form a colourless solution.

Then add NAOH and the oily drops reappear.

Any explanation would be really appreciated
    Follow the acid base rxn.

First PhNH2 gains protons. and form chloride salt with HCl. this has ions. before, the H-bond between PhnH2 and h2o is not as strong as between straight chain amines and water. why?

The ionic form can form ion-dipole bonds as they get hydrated. this fvours solubility

Afterwards, NaOH neutralises the acidic protons in the salt. giving back PhNH2 which...

Hope that helps. write eqn and see.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.