Turn on thread page Beta

How to pack for holiday: Fold clothes or roll them? watch

ReputationRep:
    Saturday morning I'm getting in the car with the family and we're driving down to Nice, South of France!!!
    I'm having a problem. When I go on trips I iron my clothes the night before and put them in my suitcase. By the time we arrive and I unload the clothes are all creased because I fold them. Someone once told me that rolling your clothes is much better because it not only saves space but it also prevernt creasing. Is this true? I really don't want to roll them only to find creases everywhere.
    Anybody used the 'folding trick', and did you see any improvements?

ReputationRep:
    no matter what you do to your clothes they'll come out creased. So either wear them like that or take an iron!!!

ReputationRep:
    fold them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isabelle_D)
    Saturday morning I'm getting in the car with the family and we're driving down to Nice, South of France!!!
    I'm having a problem. When I go on trips I iron my clothes the night before and put them in my suitcase. By the time we arrive and I unload the clothes are all creased because I fold them. Someone once told me that rolling your clothes is much better because it not only saves space but it also prevernt creasing. Is this true? I really don't want to roll them only to find creases everywhere.
    Anybody used the 'folding trick', and did you see any improvements?
    You could buy a travel iron I think they are really cheap. Personally I just go for folding though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpunderaboat)
    You could buy a travel iron I think they are really cheap. Personally I just go for folding though.
    travel irons are crap

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jaq)
    travel irons are crap
    What you mean is, some are crap.

ReputationRep:
    I usually roll my clothes, not to avoid creases but in order to fit more in one suitcase.

If you want something that gets rid of wrinkles in clothing quickly, you can try something like wrinkle spray. I used it on a gown I had once because I wasn't sure of how to iron it. The wrinkles came right out.

ReputationRep:
    Screw em up, chuck em in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zapsta)
    Now that's MY definition of packing!

ReputationRep:
    u could wear all ur clothes there, that might stop a few creases.
    u might insist on having all ur clothes on a clothes rail, on coat hangers, and then being put on the plane.
    u could take a travel iron (or buy one when ur out there).
    u could buy these clothes which cost heck of a lot but they iron themselves when u wear them cos of ur body heat or sumthing.
    u could use lots of starch, and they would become rigid(ish).
    u could frame ur clothes (like a flower press thing), and then insist that they are EXTREMELY valuable as u take them on holiday; that way they wont get creased, they shall be treated like gold, and u can have the fun of smashing them out of the glass when u reach ur destiantion.
    u could shop lift from ur nearest clothes store in ur destination, and get new clothes; when ur finished at the end of the holiday sell them and make a bit of cash.
    u can buy those fashionable clothes that are MEANT to be creased (or where the creased clothes and claim they are).
    u could become a naturist.
    u could spend ur entire holiday on a nudist beach.
    u could freeze ur clothing in storage, then transport.
    u could wear a suit of armour, which is unlikely to be dented let alone creased.
    u could buy minimilist (is that right?) clothing which is so small that it doesnt need to be folded in the suitcase.
    u could buy those GENIUS inventions; the clothes/towels that have been put under enormous pressure and squished into sumthing the size of a hockey puck. u put them in water and they come back to normal size (admitadely u would still need to iron them but it would save on space if all ur clothes are tablet size)

oh yeh rolling clothes works.

ReputationRep:
    Fold!
    Fold, damn you, fold!
    Sorry... But yes, folding is better, I find I can fit much more in, then when you're done folding, there's always space for a few rolls!
    But looking at it in a different way, if you roll, you are creating a circular shape, therefor wasting space inbetween the rolls of clothes. I think I'm looking too far into this, so I'll be quiet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rex Mundi)
    u could become a naturist.
    LOL you just reminded me, there was an advert for naturist cleaners in this shop window... wonder how many customers they got!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dinkymints)
    LOL you just reminded me, there was an advert for naturist cleaners in this shop window... wonder how many customers they got!
    hey!
    that was me....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rex Mundi)
    hey!
    that was me....
    hehe

ReputationRep:
    Steal your dad's/brother's/whoever's suit-zipperbag thing - and put your clothes in that. Or better still, do you have a suit-zipperbag thingy from the Dry Cleaners?

You can even put your clothes on coathangers, then place into this thing. If you are pushed for space - try and put loads of clothes onto two or three coat hangers. Once you have done this, fold the thing once in the middle.

Creases will be a problem of the past.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zapsta)
    ^^ That's how I do it.

ReputationRep:
    You could just say that creases are fashionable, of course.

ReputationRep:
    You can fit more if you fold them, because they tessellate better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lotus_lee)
    You can fit more if you fold them, because they tessellate better.
    But if you roll them fairly tightly, they take up less volume than folding would ever achieve. Nobody folds their sleeping bag to put it in a case.

ReputationRep:
    Shove as many as you can in a suitcase and try to slam it shut, doesn't matter really as they'll either be lost or the suitcase will open by itself at some point...!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.