Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Rang in sick

Recently I started a new job, I was mislead and found out it was call centre work. I have tried the job but am sick of feeling ill as soon as you put the phone down you have to answer the next call, call times are limited, not allowed to type up notes after the phone call, toilet breaks are timed and if you are seconds back 'late' from a break you are in the dog house when technically they want you to log back in on your break. I rang in sick advising I had sickness and diarrhoea and the duty supervisor was quite patronising asking if and when I will go to the doctor. I didn't think people were suppose to go to the doctor with a sickness bug. What should I do?

ReputationRep:
    Meh... do you desperately need the money? If not, resign. Go high up to leave; you'll probably get battered by a supervisor if you bring up leaving to them. I know it seems drastic but there's no point making yourself feel ill with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Recently I started a new job, I was mislead and found out it was call centre work. I have tried the job but am sick of feeling ill as soon as you put the phone down you have to answer the next call, call times are limited, not allowed to type up notes after the phone call, toilet breaks are timed and if you are seconds back 'late' from a break you are in the dog house when technically they want you to log back in on your break. I rang in sick advising I had sickness and diarrhoea and the duty supervisor was quite patronising asking if and when I will go to the doctor. I didn't think people were suppose to go to the doctor with a sickness bug. What should I do?
    Leave immediately, i feel as if this isn't gonna help you in life and really, if they force you to do this kind of thing then, no don't stand for it, make them find someone else to take their bs

ReputationRep:
    Don't go to the doctor. You don't need to see a doctor unless you've been unable to drink for a couple of days, are getting dehydrated/other complications or have been having diahrea/vomitting for several days. If your boss questions why you haven't seen a doctor explain that you can't get an appointment within a week and you aren't wasting an emergency appointment as it's not an emergency.

As far as the job goes, work on getting something else but try and get through where you are. I've worked in a call center where the attitude was like this and it's not nice but try not to let it get you down so much.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: November 16, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.