Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I only have 5 GCSE's, because I moved to the UK when I was 15/16, so I had my first go at GCSE's at a 16+college. Should I mention this specifically, or would they know my circumstances based on the other UCAS information?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by motassks)
    Hello,

I only have 5 GCSE's, because I moved to the UK when I was 15/16, so I had my first go at GCSE's at a 16+college. Should I mention this specifically, or would they know my circumstances based on the other UCAS information?
    This should be explained in your reference not in your PS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    This should be explained in your reference not in your PS
    Ok, thank you. I assume I should I tell my college that they should write it in their reference? They probably won't mention it otherwise, because the college where I did my GCSEs is not the college where I'm doing my Level 3 qualifications now.

ReputationRep:
    As long as you have the GCSEs and grades that they want, it doesn't need to be spoken about.

I had 2 Cs and 3 Ds - but never mentioned why I only had five GCSEs (and three at level 1 to boot). I got offers for four separate degree courses at three separate universities (including a law-based course at a Russell Group). I have only 5 GCSEs because I was home educated for three years - and my science GCSE (Human Physiology and Health) is like the lesser spotted whatever, according to admissions tutors when I wanted to do BTEC Applied Science after finishing my GCSEs.

As long as you have the English and maths grades they want (plus science if necessary for the course you want to do), they're more concerned with your level 3 (A-level, BTEC, Access, etc.) grades. I don't even have predicted grades for level 3 (although I have gotten three distinctions since I sent my application off), and like I say, I have four offers - I haven't gotten any English or maths qualifications since finishing my GCSEs in 2008.

As long as your English and maths are up to the standard they expect, you should be okay (assuming you have the level 3 qualifications they want, obvs!).

Good luck!

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources
Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.