Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

Bass Guitar

ReputationRep:
    Hey all,

So I'm going to get a new Bass guitar for University, I do Jazz and make use of every string available to me when improvising,

Should I get a 6 string or 7 string?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EdwardBarfield9)
    Hey all,

So I'm going to get a new Bass guitar for University, I do Jazz and make use of every string available to me when improvising,

Should I get a 6 string or 7 string?

ReputationRep:
    A good bassist can do all the things they need with a 4 string

however, I have a 5 string and tbh I'd say the string spacing is quite a lot to get used to (and the extra string)

I only know a few bassists that use a 6 string and they are from heavy, fast paced prog bands.

Do you think you'll benefit from a 6 string? Low B and high C I'm assuming.

No matter what genre of music I've ever played I don't think I've ever thought I'd benefit from a 6 string bass, but each to their own!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R0ckTillWeDr0p)
    A good bassist can do all the things they need with a 4 string

however, I have a 5 string and tbh I'd say the string spacing is quite a lot to get used to (and the extra string)

I only know a few bassists that use a 6 string and they are from heavy, fast paced prog bands.

Do you think you'll benefit from a 6 string? Low B and high C I'm assuming.

No matter what genre of music I've ever played I don't think I've ever thought I'd benefit from a 6 string bass, but each to their own!
    Definitely, a couple other bassists have a 5 string with a low B and another has a 5 string with high C and they come in rather useful. I'm also a big metal guy so it would be beneficial for that too.

I already have a 4 string so I'm sorted in that department, but great input, thanks

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.