Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

What age did you read and discover Harry Potter?

ReputationRep:
    okay so Fantastic Beasts is nearly here πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒ
    so I thought we could start a thread about how Harry Potter series has affected us.

How old were you when you first read the books / watched the films?
    How / Why did you decide/want to read/watch the books or films?
    Did the series help you in your life at all?
    Has it played a big part in your life?

okay i'll start

When I was 6 years old, My nan accidently switched over to itv when HP & the chamber of secrets film was being shown (the basilisk fight scene) my mum had to drag me away from it, i was hooked.
    later on in the evening we watched the first film
    After I went upstairs to bed on the way went and nickrd the first book from my parents shelf and read it the same night which only took a few hours.

over the next month i'd read all the books which were out at the time (just before HP book 6 was released, yes my teacher was annoyed at my parents for not signing my reading journal because i read too many books back then, sigh.πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

during 1 month i read the next few books / films were released.

At the time primary school was a nightmsre due to me being shy / sometimes mute meaning it was hard to make friends - basically i had no friends then, so the book series allowed me to escale into hogwarts πŸ˜ƒ

okay i might not have read the bigger books because of the content and longer words but a family friend managed to persuade my mum the films rated 12 weren't that bad so was finally allowed to watch it 😊

the books and films still play a big part in my life as i have met many of my friends this way πŸ™‚

absolutely cannot wait for Fantastic Beasts😎 I'm feeling nostalgic, can't believe its been at least 10 years...

ReputationRep:
    I think about 6/7

Because it was something completely new to me

I dunno probably

YES OMG

ReputationRep:
    9-10

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serah.exe)
    I think about 6/7

Because it was something completely new to me

I dunno probably

YES OMG
    ooh I bet you've got some first editions books in there somewhere then πŸ˜ŽπŸ‘

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bizzy_penguin)
    ooh I bet you've got some first editions books in there somewhere then πŸ˜ŽπŸ‘
    4 of them are first edition :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    How old were you when you first read the books / watched the films? I was 8.

How / Why did you decide/want to read/watch the books or films? I saw PoA in the school library, picked it up, and I've been in love ever since. :love:

Did the series help you in your life at all? Has it played a big part in your life? Yes. It helped me get over my parents' divorce. It made me be comfortable to know that it's ok to be different (and I am quite different; thank you Luna :love:). It's my go-to series when my mental health is rubbish, or I need a pick me up. For years it has been the only series I have read more than three time (we're bordering on perhaps nearly 100 times now).

ReputationRep:
    I have all of the books first edition from my brother. I remember he had to queue for hours outside waterstones or something when they were released. I didn't have much interest, as I preferred Lord of The Rings (it was almost as if you had to choose LOTR or HP...). I read them all after they had all come out in one big HP marathon. I thoroughly enjoyed them. Some parts of the latter books were a bit boring, like going into Dumbledores past was a bit of a snooze fest for me.. I also didn't see any of the films in the cinema. I only finished watching them all last year.

ReputationRep:
    I was about 3 or 4 when I first discovered Harry Potter. I can't remember the first time I saw it but I do know The Philosophers Stone was my introduction to it. After watching it I became addicted so my mam bought me the Harry Potter glasses, Gryffindor robe and a a Nimbus 2000 and I used to dress up as him all the time. My bedroom was literally full of harry potter toys and stuff xD At around the age of 7 or 8 I discovered the books and read all of them 1 through 7. Great books I might add. As I got older, I went off Harry Potter. Still great don't get me wrong but I'm not into it like I was back then.

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show

(Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
    9-10
    What House are you in? lol

(throws on Harry Potter nerd hat)

(Original post by bizzy_penguin)
    okay so Fantastic Beasts is nearly here πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒ
    so I thought we could start a thread about how Harry Potter series has affected us.

1. How old were you when you first read the books / watched the films?
    2. How / Why did you decide/want to read/watch the books or films?
    3. Did the series help you in your life at all?
    4. Has it played a big part in your life?
    1. My teacher made us read it when I was in year 4, one group got book 1, another group got 2, the other got 3 (4 wasn't out yet)

I got book 2 and don't really like reading so I never caught on then (fan of the films but have read most of each HP novel still)

2. I was in year 6 when I finally realised how amazing Harry Potter was, 2nd film came out, and it was a family affair, eeeeeveryone came to the cinema in one group, people were even camping out to view it (we went premiere night :cool:). When the Basilisk jumped out the water and I actually reacted that's how I knew I kinda liked it but then I cried when Hagrid came back so I was sold, **** it

3. I had a Harry Potter autograph/fanmail shrine thank you very much, collected at 11, lost at 13 in a move

4. I was just sat here in two minds whether I should watch the 6th film or the 3rd so yea it's that serious lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0to100)
    Spoiler:
    Show

What House are you in? lol

(throws on Harry Potter nerd hat)

1. My teacher made us read it when I was in year 4, one group got book 1, another group got 2, the other got 3 (4 wasn't out yet)

I got book 2 and don't really like reading so I never caught on then (fan of the films but have read most of each HP novel still)

2. I was in year 6 when I finally realised how amazing Harry Potter was, 2nd film came out, and it was a family affair, eeeeeveryone came to the cinema in one group, people were even camping out to view it (we went premiere night :cool:). When the Basilisk jumped out the water and I actually reacted that's how I knew I kinda liked it but then I cried when Hagrid came back so I was sold, **** it

3. I had a Harry Potter autograph/fanmail shrine thank you very much, collected at 11, lost at 13 in a move

4. I was just sat here in two minds whether I should watch the 6th film or the 3rd so yea it's that serious lol
    OMG OMG OMG
    guess!
    I'd actually be really interested in what people think I am :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Around 2001.

ReputationRep:
    Oh **** I have a Harry Potter mug as well my mum brought it back for me from Universal Studios in USA
    but I cba to make it presentable right now

ReputationRep:
    OMG OMG OMG
    guess!
    I'd actually be really interested in what people think I am :rofl:
    ravenclaw obv

once (if) I guess yours guess mine, G :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Oh **** I have a Harry Potter mug as well my mum brought it back for me from Universal Studios in USA
    but I cba to make it presentable right now
    I have a Ministry of Magic bag that my aunt brought back from the studios. Oh God, I have so much Harry Potter stuff.

ReputationRep:
    ravenclaw obv

once (if) I guess yours guess mine, G :cool:
    You are such a HP nerd! I was into it back in the day but not so much now :erm:

I'm actually a Slitherin :mmm: :mwuaha:

Erm are you a Slitherin too? :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airmed)
    I have a Ministry of Magic bag that my aunt brought back from the studios. Oh God, I have so much Harry Potter stuff.
    my lil siblings went along this past summer and got backpacks according to their Houses and they cost like 50 quid/45 USD :| (actually Idk the US price lol but it was a lot)
    but ripped each in like 2 weeks :eyeball:

You are such a HP nerd! I was into it back in the day but not so much now :erm:

I'm actually a Slitherin :mmm: :mwuaha:

Erm are you a Slitherin too? :mmm:
    pffft you're still a nerd for it lol

Oh wow Slytherin >_>

Yea I'm Slytherin :rofl]:

what made you guess that spot on? :|

Am I slytheriny lol

ReputationRep:
    my lil siblings went along this past summer and got backpacks according to their Houses and they cost like 50 quid/45 USD :|
    but ripped each in like 2 weeks :eyeball:
    What?! The one I have is in such good condition, I use it quite a bit, have had it for over 4 years. That's so sad to hear. But I have my House scarf. And my mugs, and tshirts.

ReputationRep:
    I was like 4, got every book the day it released, not that I could really follow the books completely until I was a tad older, but I was an excellent reader at that age.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airmed)
    What?! The one I have is in such good condition, I use it quite a bit, have had it for over 4 years. That's so sad to hear. But I have my House scarf. And my mugs, and tshirts.
    You have all that? That is so expensive, they could only afford me the mug (which broke during a row so I had to glue it together and couldn't save the handle :rofl: So now to drink hot stuff out of it I need to carry it on a rag XD)

anyway yea Idk if it's because they're kids? And so it just went to waste like one of my sister's is tearing, stubbornly stained, and won't zip.

My older sis has her ravenclaw house scarf (think it's ravenclaw) my mum has...think she has some ornament and trinkets dunno lol

ReputationRep:
    You have all that? That is so expensive, they could only afford me the mug (which broke during a row so I had to glue it together and couldn't save the handle :rofl: So now to drink hot stuff out of it I need to carry it on a rag XD)

anyway yea Idk if it's because they're kids? And so it just went to waste like one of my sister's is tearing, stubbornly stained, and won't zip.

My older sis has her ravenclaw house scarf (think it's ravenclaw) my mum has...think she has some ornament and trinkets dunno lol
    My sister bought me the scarf from the London store, Ravenclaw one. I was given a Time Turner necklace and a Snitch bracelet by a lovely someone for my birthday. I have Harry Potter pjs, I am that obsessed. My mug says 'I solemnly swear I am up to no good'. :love: Stg, me and Harry Potter stuff is dangerous. :laugh:

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: December 25, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.