Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Best A-Levels for Medicine?

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the process of deciding my A-Levels at the moment, and I've pretty much decided on Biology, Chemistry, Maths and English Literature. I want to go on to study medicine at university, so I know that the first three are good choices. However, Physics appears to be a better choice than English Literature, and so I'm not sure whether to take that instead. I'm not bad at physics, but the course outline looks boring to me, and I really enjoy English Literature. Should I take Physics or another subject rather than English Literature? What would universities think about it as an A-Level on an application for medicine?

ReputationRep:
    It won't effect your application at all. In fact taking an essay subject will help you look like a more rounded applicant,

Also you don't need to take 4 A-levels, there isn't any benefit

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it will have too much of an effect, if you prefer and want to study english lit go for it. most offers are based on 3 A level subjects anyway and maths , chem and bio are great a levels for medicine. I think physics may make you slightly more competitive but its not worth it if you think it maybe boring and prefer english lit.
    best of luck with medicine

(Original post by moll_h)
    I'm in the process of deciding my A-Levels at the moment, and I've pretty much decided on Biology, Chemistry, Maths and English Literature. I want to go on to study medicine at university, so I know that the first three are good choices. However, Physics appears to be a better choice than English Literature, and so I'm not sure whether to take that instead. I'm not bad at physics, but the course outline looks boring to me, and I really enjoy English Literature. Should I take Physics or another subject rather than English Literature? What would universities think about it as an A-Level on an application for medicine?
    Those A-levels are fine. If you enjoy English lit, then do it.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it would matter either way, just go for the one you prefer.

ReputationRep:
    If you're applying to a BMAT university, take physics. If not, then don't bother.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HopelessMedic)
    It won't effect your application at all. In fact taking an essay subject will help you look like a more rounded applicant,

Also you don't need to take 4 A-levels, there isn't any benefit
    Thank you! And I do know that doing 4 A-Levels is a bit pointless, but I enjoy all of the subjects and am very indecisive

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.