Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

DarkEnergy's Trek to the Trifecta: A*A*A* Watch

ReputationRep:

AS results
    I am quite happy with my AS results overall, but somewhat disappointed with the B. Definitely did not prepare enough for Maths, and it's the only AS that counted towards the full A-level. I will be resitting Core 1 and Core 2.
    • Chemistry - A
    • Computer Science - A
    • Physics - A
    • Mathematics - B [C1: 78] [C2: 78] [S1: 81]

A-Level subjects
    • Chemistry - AQA - Predicted A*
    • Physics - AQA - Predicted A*
    • Mathematics - OCR - Predicted A

University offers
    I sent off my application on 10th November. All courses are the integrated masters (MSci/MPhys) courses.
    • UCL (Medical Physics) | Offer: AAA
    • Edinburgh (Physics with a Year Abroad) | Offer: ABB
    • Nottingham (Physics with German) | Offer: A*AA (or AAB if firmed)
    • Warwick (Physics) | Offer: A*AA

Extracurriculars
    These are the extracurriculars/supracurriculars I have mentioned in my personal statement.
    • Work experience placement at Durham University Centre for Advanced Instrumentation
    • Summer schools at the University of York and Newcastle University
    • Lecture by Helen Sharman (first Briton in space)
    • Talk by NASA scientist working on James Webb Space Telescope
    • Wider reading - "Six Easy Pieces" by Richard Feynman and "Quantum Enigma: Physics Encounters Consciousness" by Bruce Rosenblum and Fred Kuttner
    • School trip to a country in West Africa which involved prior fundraising activities

Important posts
    January Mock Review

Final University Choices

ReputationRep:
    Exam timetable
    maintenance

Revision timetable
    maintenance

(schedule as of 26/01/16)

ReputationRep:
    Daily Review -Monday, 14th November 2016 [Week 1]

Maths Core 1 Resit Paper - 4:00PM to 4:45PM
    Did the January 2008 paper 'blind' in 20 minutes (haven't 'revised' Core 1 since last summer) and did alright. Although I did well in the stuff I had also done recently in A-level Maths (differentiation, equation of lines & tangents, etc), I had forgotten fairly simple topics in Core 1 such as circle theorems, and cubic graphs. Got 55/72 marks which is 3 marks off an A, not too bad for being very rusty in it but still lots of room for improvement.
    Overall thoughts:

Physics Paper 1 Revision - 5:00PM to 5:45PM
    Using the CGP revision guide and my notes from last year, I started making condensed notes for particle physics - one of my favourite topics. Managed to complete notes on atomic structure, stable & unstable nuclei, and antiparticles & photons.
    Overall thoughts:

Chemistry AS Organic Revision - 6:00PM to 6:45PM
    Again, using the CGP revision guide and my notes from last year, I started making condensed notes for the introduction to organic chemistry topic. This consisted of formulas, functional groups, nomenclature, mechanisms, structural isomers, and E/Z isomers. Also started making condensed notes for the next topic - alkanes and halogenoalkanes. Only managed to finish the first section of the topic, alkanes & petroleum.
    Overall thoughts:

Maths Core 3 Practice - 7:00PM to 7:45PM
    Core 3 trigonometry has been taught quite badly in maths so far, so I attempted to go through the Cambridge Core 3 & 4 textbook. Went over cot/cosec/sec graphs to start off with then did some examples, but was getting frustrated and getting most of it wrong. Definitely need to start attending the extra support sessions for maths at college.
    Overall thoughts:

General Remarks
    A decent start to my revision, with 3 sessions being fairly easy aside due to them only being AS content. Ended my revision quite frustrated after the last session though. Also should really start sleeping earlier - only got 5 hours of sleep last night...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkEnergy)
    Revision timetable
    Decided to make a revision timetable to make my revision more organised! It's still subject to change at the moment, pending me actually trying out a full week of it. Also obviously I haven't finished all the content so some of the sessions will be substituted for stuff I've already done.
    Hi i was wondering how did you make that time table ? Could you share the website or app you use

thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AEFRGF)
    Hi i was wondering how did you make that time table ? Could you share the website or app you use

thanks
    Hey, I just used Google Docs (Sheets). https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I just used Google Docs (Sheets). https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/
    Could you send me a link to the sheets i have never used google docs before

thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AEFRGF)
    Could you send me a link to the sheets i have never used google docs before

thanks
    Sheets is the name of the software, it's just like Excel. I linked to it above, you'll need a Google account.

ReputationRep:
    Sheets is the name of the software, it's just like Excel. I linked to it above, you'll need a Google account.
    Why did you apply for physics with a language at one university?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MajorFader)
    Why did you apply for physics with a language at one university?
    Thanks for the question.

I was looking at the different variations of the Physics degrees at Nottingham and this "Physics with European Language" caught my eye. I've always been interested in learning another language but never really actually done it. I know I probably wouldn't be fluent by the end of the degree, but it would be great to be near-enough bilingual, in arguably the two most useful languages in the Western hemisphere.

Also, I really enjoy travelling and like the idea of a year abroad. The year abroad is spent at another great university, the University of Munich, which is associated with three winners of Nobel prizes in Physics - one of which being Werner Heisenberg.

It's not really that big of a decision though to be honest, as it's really easy to switch between the different Physics programmes.

ReputationRep:
    Update - University choices
    Received an offer today at 5PM from Warwick! Just the standard offer, A*AA including Maths and Physics.
    Spoiler:
    Show

• Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Received an offer today at 5PM from Warwick! Just the standard offer, A*AA including Maths and Physics.
    Spoiler:
    Show

Congratulations! :congrats::bl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illimitable)
    Congratulations! :congrats::bl:
    Thanks, feels good getting my first offer!

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Congrats!!!!
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, feels good getting my first offer!
    It must do! Which one do you really want to go to?

ReputationRep:
    Good luck! You seem to be super organised :top:
    And we have the exact same UMS for C1 and S1 for AS maths haha. I'm going to be re-sitting C1 next year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamestg)
    Congrats!!!!
    Thanks!
    It must do! Which one do you really want to go to?
    As of now, it's probably between St Andrews and UCL. Although this may change after visiting any post-offer days I'm invited to!
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Thanks!

As of now, it's probably between St Andrews and UCL. Although this may change after visiting any post-offer days I'm invited to!
    Both amazing universities! Have fun!
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Thanks!

What did you get in GCSE's if you don't mind me asking?

ReputationRep:
    Both amazing universities! Have fun!
    Cheers
    What did you get in GCSE's if you don't mind me asking?
    My GCSEs were good but certainly not up to TSR standard, from what I've seen anyways: 3 A*s, 3 As, and 3 Bs (and a Distinction* in a Cambridge National).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jessyjellytot14)
    Good luck! You seem to be super organised :top:
    And we have the exact same UMS for C1 and S1 for AS maths haha. I'm going to be re-sitting C1 next year.
    Thank you! What was your C2 UMS if you don't mind me asking?

Also, how do you plan on preparing for the C1 resit?

Submit reply
Updated: August 17, 2017
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.