Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I have gotten offers to study a BA in English Literature at Newcastle, King's, Birmingham and, York. My top choices are the last two, but I have no idea which one to choose!

What I like about Birmimgham is that I can focus on Creative Writing, Film, or Drama, as well as its connection to the Shakespeare Institute.I also like that it is a larger, more diverse city. York has also very good reputation, the English course seems very interesting, and there are lot of opportunities to go abroad, however, creative writing is not offered in the degree.

Birmingham gave me a conditional offer based on my IB scores, which I won't receive until July, while York gave me a better offer just based on my existing American qualifications.

I am an overseas student and have never visited any of these universities or cities (and probably won't be able to before starting my course). I based my decision on league tables and the information I found online. If any of you study/have studied at any of these unis (especially if you are studying English) I would appreciate your opinion.

How is the city and student life? How is the English degree? How expensive is it to live there? Which one has better reputation? Which one has the most opportunities for funding? How are the graduate prospects? How is life for an international student?

PLEASE HELP ME! I am very indecisive!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Info about city and student life, international student support and grad prospects can be found online. Email the unis and see if they can put you in touch with current or former students. Funding is very difficult and in some cases non-existent for international students at the undergrad level so there is no straightforward answer for that.

ReputationRep:
    I think the most important consideration for you is which course is closer to your requirements, which in this case seems to be Birmingham.

Second would be which place can you see yourself thriving in for three years. Birmingham is a campus university that's a little removed from the city while York is a collegiate uni that's spread around a smallish city. Which is most attractive to you as a place? Ideally you should visit both places if possible.

Thirdly, have a look at how the departments' reputations compare. There's a wealth of information online as the other poster said.

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm a third year English student at York and I can heartily recommend it. The city is a wonderful place to experience university; it's really beautiful and easy to walk around, as well as being very affordable. The degree itself is also great, there is a huge selection of modules (including film ones) to pick from and the seminars are a really good size for discussion (11-14). Even the creative writing element that you like about birmingham is being brought in. This year the department hired three new members of staff, one of whom is there to offer creative writing and information on how to get into the publishing world (it'll be called something like Careers in Writing) so from when you join that will be available. Us old fogies just have to make do with the creative writing magazines on campus! Choose whichever course feels most engaging and enjoyable and you'll have a fab time wherever you go, but I thought I'd message just to let you know at least one person has enjoyed English at York :P The department is pretty good on responding to questions from applicants so if you have any others email them

Hope that helps!

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.