Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

19, never had a job!? Worried. Watch

ReputationRep:
    So I'm 19. I've volunteered before but everytime I apply for a normal job such as superdrug, a supermarket or something of the sort, it doesn't progress or I'm rejected.

I'm baffled at how people manage to get the jobs when all the job profiles say '1 year retail experience required' or usually ask that you have the skills needed such as dealing with customers. How does one go about gaining them without a job though? Some things I just inherently have e.g. some types of social skills and resilience so I can't say I've developed them through particular experience.

Any help?

*no rude comments please*

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Applying to every opportunity available, and not stopping.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captivated)
    So I'm 19. I've volunteered before but everytime I apply for a normal job such as superdrug, a supermarket or something of the sort, it doesn't progress or I'm rejected.

I'm baffled at how people manage to get the jobs when all the job profiles say '1 year retail experience required' or usually ask that you have the skills needed such as dealing with customers. How does one go about gaining them without a job though? Some things I just inherently have e.g. some types of social skills and resilience so I can't say I've developed them through particular experience.

Any help?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Most likely CV problems use the CV help threeportdrift is really helpful

ReputationRep:

Any help?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Relate the interpersonal skills developed through your voluntary work to the job role in question

ReputationRep:
    I volunteered in a charity shop for about 2 years (from when i was 13-15) and that gave me the experience i needed to get my first waitressing job in a small tea room when i was around 14 and then that also helped me get experience for my current job which is also waitressing and bar work which i've had since i was 16 (and i turn 18 next month). So yeah try and get voluntary experience that involves interacting with the public and being trained in areas such as till usage or bar work because it helps a lot when you apply for actual paid work Good luck with future applications and really try to apply for jobs which you have experience in because otherwise there's a higher chance of being rejected

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    Relate the interpersonal skills developed through your voluntary work to the job role in question
    So adapt my points to each role I apply for and changing them slightly for each?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by butterfly_belle)
    I volunteered in a charity shop for about 2 years (from when i was 13-15) and that gave me the experience i needed to get my first waitressing job in a small tea room when i was around 14 and then that also helped me get experience for my current job which is also waitressing and bar work which i've had since i was 16 (and i turn 18 next month). So yeah try and get voluntary experience that involves interacting with the public and being trained in areas such as till usage or bar work because it helps a lot when you apply for actual paid work Good luck with future applications and really try to apply for jobs which you have experience in because otherwise there's a higher chance of being rejected
    Thank you! And well done on being so confident with getting jobs from such a young age

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So adapt my points to each role I apply for and changing them slightly for each?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I might be able to help you more if I knew what voluntary work you did, what did you do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    I might be able to help you more if I knew what voluntary work you did, what did you do?
    So I worked in a library for the summer with kids and their parents where we promoted a 'summer reading challenge', had to encourage the kids etc. Right now I'm helping 6/7 first year psychology students one day a week here at university with their assignments and general lecture content.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Why didn't you start voluntary work at 16 like the majority of sensible young people? You've put yourself at a grave disadvantage as the successful applicants of your age would have had at least three years experience of voluntary (or even paid) work by now.

You say you're only volunteering once a week currently, so I suggest for the other six days you get down to a charity shop and help out there. You need as much experience as you can get if you want to even dream of getting a job.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I didn't get my first part time job until I was 19, after hundreds of applications. Stick at the volunteering, and keep applying, but don't use the same blanket CV. Make it personal to the job if you can. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by #ChaosKass)
    Why didn't you start voluntary work at 16 like the majority of sensible young people? You've put yourself at a grave disadvantage as the successful applicants of your age would have had at least three years experience of voluntary (or even paid) work by now.

You say you're only volunteering once a week currently, so I suggest for the other six days you get down to a charity shop and help out there. You need as much experience as you can get if you want to even dream of getting a job.
    I said it was at university so I would've hoped you'd assume I'd have *ahem* university the other days..
    Seems a little concerning coming from someone who makes confident statements.

I've created this thread because I've had bad luck with rejections for weekend jobs. That's all I can offer as a full time university student. As for not volunteering age 16, if there was a way to reverse time I would. But asking me why and being horrible doesn't change a thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So I worked in a library for the summer with kids and their parents where we promoted a 'summer reading challenge', had to encourage the kids etc. Right now I'm helping 6/7 first year psychology students one day a week here at university with their assignments and general lecture content.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Alright, so you have experience of working with children and parents which is a broad age range. You have experience motivating people and experiencing tutoring people one on one.

SMH

ReputationRep:
    I said it was at university so I would've hoped you'd assume I'd have *ahem* university the other days..
    Seems a little concerning coming from someone who makes confident statements.

I've created this thread because I've had bad luck with rejections for weekend jobs. That's all I can offer as a full time university student. As for not volunteering age 16, if there was a way to reverse time I would. But asking me why and being horrible doesn't change a thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes, I saw that you said you were at uni. You can still volunteer on days you start or finish class early, not to mention the weekends.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I saw that you said you were at uni. You can still volunteer on days you start or finish class early, not to mention the weekends.
    I finish at 5pm on a Monday, 5pm on a Wednesday, 4pm on a Thursday and 1pm on a Friday. With the limited hours I have to spare during the week, I don't think an employer will be happy to say 'oh yes let me just change the fixed hours around to suit the odd 2 hours you can spare on a Tuesday!'. I do have to find jobs that suit my timetable which is why I try to apply for the weekend ones.

Also, I applied for two charity shop jobs who didn't get back to me. So all I'm asking for in this thread is about what I could do to increase my chances.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airmed)
    I didn't get my first part time job until I was 19, after hundreds of applications. Stick at the volunteering, and keep applying, but don't use the same blanket CV. Make it personal to the job if you can. :yep:
    Thank you I'll definitely begin to tailor the cv for these jobs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Any help?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sign up with lots of different employment agencies on the high street like Reed and other's

Type employment agencies in your area on google to get a list and ring them all for an appointment

Apply for Trainee Recruitment jobs online with Reed as you need no experience

If an agency does not get you a job quickly then just do voluntary work to build up your CV.
    You can type voluntary work on google to get a list of different one's

Or type Student jobs on google as they don't expect people to have prior experience as they are willing to train anyone
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:

Any help?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Carry on with the volunteering. It's usually because a lot of people get a part-time job when their 16. Nevertheless, carry on applying and make your CV related to the job that your applying for.

ReputationRep:

Any help?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Contact Learners direct.com or ring 0208 509 1666
    They make people do their 5 day or 2 week course first where you get a certificate to show employers then they send you for interviews with what ever company you chose to work for. If you live outside of London just type Learners direct and the area you live on google
    I only found out about them on Friday at their job fair and they arranged for me and lots of other people to go for an appointment to see them on Monday but i chose to go Wednesday because i am at college 2 days a week.
    They had connections with so many different employer's but i only want to apply for the job as a Picker in Tesco warehouse because Tesco offer hours of 3 30am and at nights £10 an hour and it would fit in with my college hours.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hey there,

Have you tried doing some internships and work experience if you are struggling to land a job? Great job with doing the volunteering already!

Here's some articles about work experience and internships you might find useful:

http://advice.milkround.com/getting-...ork-experience
    http://advice.milkround.com/work-exp...is-it-good-for
    http://advice.milkround.com/work-exp...key-to-success
    http://advice.milkround.com/should-i-do-an-internship

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.