Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Where can you buy a bicycle with over 100 gears!? Watch

Announcements

I have heard of such bikes, but never came across any myself. Most I have seen is 30 which is a lot. But 100+!? Is there an advantage to so many gears?

ReputationRep:
    18 gears is plenty, anymore more is just stupid in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    I have 29 gears and don't use half of them. God knows why you would need 100+

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spanker)
    18 gears is plenty, anymore more is just stupid in my opinion.
    18 is plenty for an amature who only uses a bike to cycle to school. 30 is enough but 100 is pretty stupid

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laomedeia)
    I have heard of such bikes, but never came across any myself. Most I have seen is 30 which is a lot. But 100+!? Is there an advantage to so many gears?
    It's possible, there is one bike that has 3 epicyclical gear units. Each one consists of a centre sun gear, surrounded by 3 planet gears and a outer ring gear. An electronic system can stall one of those gear sets affecting the output. So if you think of the combinations of 9 gears in all, that's a hell of a lot of different ratios of gears!

It's quite a smart all the rider does is flicks a lever up or down and it goes to a small computer that tells a servo to lock one of those gears or a combination of gears using brake bands attached to each gear.

The bike is priced at over £3 k I think and has a rechargeable battery which operated the gear system.

(Original post by Ambitious1999)
    It's possible, there is one bike that has 3 epicyclical gear units. Each one consists of a centre sun gear, surrounded by 3 planet gears and a outer ring gear. An electronic system can stall one of those gear sets affecting the output. So if you think of the combinations of 9 gears in all, that's a hell of a lot of different ratios of gears!

It's quite a smart all the rider does is flicks a lever up or down and it goes to a small computer that tells a servo to lock one of those gears or a combination of gears using brake bands attached to each gear.

The bike is priced at over £3 k I think and has a rechargeable battery which operated the gear system.
    That reminds me of a quote by Jeff Goldblum from the original Jurassic Park.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 22, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.