Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't 100% set before starting uni that this was what I wanted to do. But I was pushed and pushed by my family who had never gone before, by being told that it would be the best years of my life and that I'd gain so much from it.
    Well.
    They were wrong.
    I feel like I have learnt NOTHING in the 2 months I have been here. My lecturers/ tutors treat us like children. We were shown how to use blackboard 3 times. That's 3 1 hour sessions just on blackboard.
    I have no real friends. It seems like unless you like clubbing then you're on your own.
    None of the societies tickle my fancy.
    And there's nothing to do in the surrounding area.
    But now, I can't quit and start again with the open university because I won't be entitled to all the student finance. So I'm stuck here until June when I can finally leave.
    I can honestly say coming to uni is only great if you don't know now what it's like. I hate it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katyuiop)
    I wasn't 100% set before starting uni that this was what I wanted to do. But I was pushed and pushed by my family who had never gone before, by being told that it would be the best years of my life and that I'd gain so much from it.
    Well.
    They were wrong.
    I feel like I have learnt NOTHING in the 2 months I have been here. My lecturers/ tutors treat us like children. We were shown how to use blackboard 3 times. That's 3 1 hour sessions just on blackboard.
    I have no real friends. It seems like unless you like clubbing then you're on your own.
    But now, I can't quit and start again with the open university because I won't be entitled to all the student finance. So I'm stuck here until June when I can finally leave.
    I can honestly say coming to uni is only great if you don't know now what it's like. I hate it.
    Stick at it for at least the rest of the academic year mate, get some credits on the board.

However I'm not particularly enjoying my course of Computer Games Tech at the minute, in truth it's hardly the most useful subject. My social circle are one of its redeeming features thankfully.

Something good will happen to you that might make you reconsider, but Uni isn't for everyone,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NoPunInThisName)
    Stick at it for at least the rest of the academic year mate, get some credits on the board.

However I'm not particularly enjoying my course of Computer Games Tech at the minute, in truth it's hardly the most useful subject. My social circle are one of its redeeming features thankfully.

Something good will happen to you that might make you reconsider, but Uni isn't for everyone,
    I have to stick at it for the first year so that I can transfer my credits over and continue doing it (at home instead) through the open university... I just don't know how I'm going to make it to June. I hate it here. I didn't leave my room from Thursday-today. I don't get along with my halls. Etc...
    I wish they'd made the idea of uni more realistic when I was going to open days!

ReputationRep:
    I have to stick at it for the first year so that I can transfer my credits over and continue doing it (at home instead) through the open university... I just don't know how I'm going to make it to June. I hate it here. I didn't leave my room from Thursday-today. I don't get along with my halls. Etc...
    I wish they'd made the idea of uni more realistic when I was going to open days!
    Some people accommodate to it quickly, others don't.

They can't really advertise the Uni yet say "It might be a bit sh*t".

Which Uni do you go to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NoPunInThisName)
    Some people accommodate to it quickly, others don't.

They can't really advertise the Uni yet say "It might be a bit sh*t".

Which Uni do you go to?
    No, but they could tell you in advance the typical timetable, or average student life, etc. I feel like it's all glossed up in a prospectus that doesn't actually reflect real student life.

South Wales 😊 You?

ReputationRep:
    To be fair, they are selling us a service in the end that results in profit. I'm not sure your feelings towards them is their biggest concern. They have student services for mental issues and general concerns but I find they're as useful as a chocolate teapot.

Portsmouth.

ReputationRep:
    Feeling exactly the same right now but then again I was never looking forward to another 3 years of school. I find my course boring, why are lectures the main method teaching, it's torturous. Didn't click with my flatmates either so spend most of free time in the library doing work. I talk to people on my course but hardly hang out with them outside of lectures. Also joined some societies but they didn't really appeal to me either.

So right now, I'm just trying to take uni one day at a time. Like I said before, I didn't have high expectations of uni before I came here so wasn't surprised that I ended up hating it. It is still early days though so things might change for the both of us later on in the year. Hang it there.

ReputationRep:
    Well.
    They were wrong.
    With regard to the student finance, don't they allow you to have a 'false start'? So you would be able to re-apply and get the funding for the duration of your course, but if you had to re-sit a year you'd have to fund it yourself?

ReputationRep:
    +1 to op, had similar first year experience after which I moved back home

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a similar situation to you katyulop. none of the societys at my uni really inetrest me that much, i dont really get on with many people on my course or even at the uni for that matter and the workloads starting to stress me out. i actully rather like uni though not only is it helping me get useful skills even if the workload is horrifying but its like I always used to get told strenght through adversity. plus its made me much more appreciative of the time that me and my actual mates have together when were all back in our home town from our respective unis during holiday periods and stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liastro_3109)
    With regard to the student finance, don't they allow you to have a 'false start'? So you would be able to re-apply and get the funding for the duration of your course, but if you had to re-sit a year you'd have to fund it yourself?
    If it's the same subject I'd be taking, then is that a false start? I thought they only gave you the full funding if it was your first time?
    • Very Important Poster

Well.
    They were wrong.
    Sorry you arent having a good time. It can be a very mixed bunch.
    For some things improve once things settle, but for others they chose the wrong course, wrong uni or shouldn't have gone. Sounds like both for you.

Unless heres something you havent told us, then you can quit and still be funded for a degree elsewhere. SFE give you funding for one gift year to cover instances where you felt the course wasnt right, you were ill or failed exams.
    That means you cna notch this years course down to experience and start fresh elsewhere next year.

I would stay till the end of term just to make sure , but otherwise decide if you wnat to go back and if not notify the uni and sfe. there will be a procedure in place for leaving.
    It doesnt really make sense to wait till the end of the year as you can curtail your loans, meaning this will cut your student debt, plus you na get a job and go home. Also have time to find out what you really want.

Talk to your tutor, SU advisor and careers. Nothing to worry abour and in th scheme of things its not that big a mistake plus it is easily rectified.

ReputationRep:
    Well.
    They were wrong.
    For someone who's only been there for two months, you have a very negative and defeatist attitude towards uni. Do you think perhaps if you changed your attitude towards it, your feelings about it might change also?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    For someone who's only been there for two months, you have a very negative and defeatist attitude towards uni. Do you think perhaps if you changed your attitude towards it, your feelings about it might change also?
    To change my attitude I'd have to find friends, be able to join societies, find my lecturers interesting, not fight with the accommodation services constantly, and have have motivation to do anything.

ReputationRep:
    They were wrong.
    You've only been there 2 months. That's a very short time. If you have nothing to do, find a part time job to do for a while or take up a sport. 1st term is always soft, it will probably get much harder after term 1 so be happy while it lasts...

ReputationRep:
    To change my attitude I'd have to find friends, be able to join societies, find my lecturers interesting, not fight with the accommodation services constantly, and have have motivation to do anything.
    But maybe if you had the attitude of 'it's not so bad this uni lark, after all, and I can make it work' then some of these things might fall into place. No-one is going to want to be your friend if you go around with this attitude that you hate everything and everyone there - it's going to be pretty obvious. And if you've turned your mind against the lectures and lecturers the same thing applies - maybe some of the first few lectures did seem too easy, or a waste of time, but you don't know what is to come, and whether you're suddenly going to find things much more interesting.

I'm just trying to help you. In my experience, a bad attitude towards everything like this is just self-defeating, and the only person you end up hurting is yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Sorry you arent having a good time. It can be a very mixed bunch.
    For some things improve once things settle, but for others they chose the wrong course, wrong uni or shouldn't have gone. Sounds like both for you.

Unless heres something you havent told us, then you can quit and still be funded for a degree elsewhere. SFE give you funding for one gift year to cover instances where you felt the course wasnt right, you were ill or failed exams.
    That means you cna notch this years course down to experience and start fresh elsewhere next year.

I would stay till the end of term just to make sure , but otherwise decide if you wnat to go back and if not notify the uni and sfe. there will be a procedure in place for leaving.
    It doesnt really make sense to wait till the end of the year as you can curtail your loans, meaning this will cut your student debt, plus you na get a job and go home. Also have time to find out what you really want.

Talk to your tutor, SU advisor and careers. Nothing to worry abour and in th scheme of things its not that big a mistake plus it is easily rectified.
    Thank you. I thought you weren't entitled to funding if you stopped then continued. I'll have to double check that!

I do love my course (psychology) but it's the lecturers that spoil it for me. I've stopped going to all the lectures, and have just worked on my own and done the assessment myself. Got 72% in one I did.

I'm wanting to do the open university, as it's become obvious to me that self guided learning is most suited to me... I was going to stay until the end of the year so that I can get the credits, and transfer into year two- so that I don't have to restart!

Edit: just read this- "If you have studied on a full-time higher education course in the past, even for one day, but did not obtain any qualification, this previous study will reduce your entitlement to receive a Student Finance England Tuition Fee Loan for a new full-time course. If you are not eligible for the Tuition Fee Loan you will have to pay your own tuition fees for some or all of the course. However, it will not affect your entitlement to receive a part-time Student Finance England Tuition Fee Loan for a part-time undergraduate degree level course."
    • Very Important Poster

Thank you. I thought you weren't entitled to funding if you stopped then continued. I'll have to double check that!

I do love my course (psychology) but it's the lecturers that spoil it for me. I've stopped going to all the lectures, and have just worked on my own and done the assessment myself. Got 72% in one I did.

I'm wanting to do the open university, as it's become obvious to me that self guided learning is most suited to me... I was going to stay until the end of the year so that I can get the credits, and transfer into year two- so that I don't have to restart!
    That is possible and the OU will be more accepting of a transfer of credits. You have to weigh it up.

If you are going to stay, then you need to change your plan so it becomes more olerable. there will be other likeminded people there. You need to be careful you arent digging a hole for yourself and isolating making yourself more lonely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    That is possible and the OU will be more accepting of a transfer of credits. You have to weigh it up.

If you are going to stay, then you need to change your plan so it becomes more olerable. there will be other likeminded people there. You need to be careful you arent digging a hole for yourself and isolating making yourself more lonely.
    Im not exactly sure how to make it better. I can't do sports anymore so I can't join the society I want to join. And I don't have any other interests! 😬

Any suggestions?
    • Very Important Poster

Im not exactly sure how to make it better. I can't do sports anymore so I can't join the society I want to join. And I don't have any other interests! 😬

Any suggestions?
    Sorry off out at the moment, will have a think. reality check is right in a point that you need to change your attitdue, get things in perspective and tackle things in a different way so it becomes less miserable.

When I'm in tight situations I make a mini pact with myself and analsye all the factors involved. That would include listing the things making me sad or I hated and didnt enjoy v measures and solutions I could put in place.

It would change it if you made one or two good friends, then everything would stop feeling so alien and you would feel less isolated. Will give you an answer later.

Start by going to student support and also talking to your tutor. Your first task is to decide whether you are going to quit or stay for this term or year 1.

Then you need to research open uni or other uni. Find out more about each.

You also need to look into transfer of credits, what you need and who accepts.

The aim is to put yourself in an informed position to make the best decisions..

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.