Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

"Libertarianism is a dangerous and selfish ideology". What are your views? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Biggles)
    Most non-white doctors are Indians who have never claimed aslyum. Most aslyum seekers are Kosovan scum, or Aids ridden drug-dealing Africans. Not decent, law-abiding people.
    You're boring me now, if you dont have the intellect to take part in a debate without falling to baseless sterotypes then there is no value to arguing with you, hope hating people keeps you happy

(Original post by Cossack2004)
    You're boring me now, if you dont have the intellect to take part in a debate without falling to baseless sterotypes then there is no value to arguing with you, hope hating people keeps you happy
    Go back to whatever mumbo jumbo country you came from.

ReputationRep:
    Go back to whatever mumbo jumbo country you came from.
    That would be England

ReputationRep:
    That would be England
    If we ignore him, he might go away.

ReputationRep:
    aslyum seekers are Kosovan scum, or Aids ridden drug-dealing Africans. Not decent, law-abiding people.
    What evidence do you have for any of these assertions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llamas)
    If we ignore him, he might go away.
    I very much doubt it hes on baout his tenth account and keeps coming back every time hes banned

I very much doubt it hes on baout his tenth account and keeps coming back every time hes banned
    16th, by my reckoning.

ReputationRep:
    16th, by my reckoning.
    My apologise Lord/Prince etc

ReputationRep:
    It is absurd to speak of libertarianism as if it were a united ideology, where everyone who calls themselves a libertarian agrees with everyone else. libertarianism means that people may do as they please. After all, a logical libertarian would follow
    "the good old simple plan
    That they should take who have the power
    And they should keep who can."
    Most libertarians do not accept this logic when it affects them. They want to benefit from those laws and those aspects of society which suit and protect them. By accepting this much, however, they implicitly accept the other decisions made by society- the people they live and work among- as a whole. They may argue against society's decisions of course, but if they act in a fully libertarian fashion and pay no heed to the opinions of society as expressed in laws and customs, then everyone else behaves in an equally libertarian way and locks them up until they do conform.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dajo123)
    Would they hold true to this even if their emergency room bill came to £500,000? i think not. This would render them poor, and in their world this means fuc*ed. Libertarians sound like ideologists, all mouth no action.
    thats because Libertarianism is an ideology, a political philosophy, drawing on Classical Liberalism which sought to promote individual rights, minimal government and reduce the power of the state. i share many of these principles, but realise that while i see tax and an obligation to the state as being unfortunate, it is necessary to a certain extent. that doesnt contradict that I hold some broad principles of libertarianism.

ReputationRep:
    I belieave in some of its goals (such as the idiotic war on drugs - shouldn't we ban alcohol, tobacco [which kills far more than any other drug] and caffine also?), but I also think they we do need to help people with the benefit system (even though you will always get a few freeloaders). Personaly my perfect system would be one of no tax on income but all inheritance goes to the government - obviously it wouldn't work because people cannot see its benefits and would therefore gift the money to their children before they die (to counter this we would require a large fraud division looking into such matters) - anyway thats another issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llamas)
    Gun control would be abolished, and speed limits too.
    What's your point, idiot? Gun control is the sign of a police state society. The philosophy behind gun control is that people themselves are property of the State, and the government should be the only ones with guns while the people are unarmed, because the State should have total control over people.

Owning guns is a fundamental right, because it gives people the ability to keep their government in check and control the government, instead of the scenario of the government controlling the people which is what happens in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laboritesmasher)
    What's your point, idiot? Gun control is the sign of a police state society. The philosophy behind gun control is that people themselves are property of the State, and the government should be the only ones with guns while the people are unarmed, because the State should have total control over people.

Owning guns is a fundamental right, because it gives people the ability to keep their government in check and control the government, instead of the scenario of the government controlling the people which is what happens in the UK.
    awww, we don't half have some talented comedians on this forum.

ReputationRep:
    No but we do have idiots such as yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Aww, I'll take that a compliment

ReputationRep:
    I think idiots would let people like you have access to guns when you sound so trigger-happy.

ReputationRep:

:rolleyes: You have been watching far too much television.

ReputationRep:
    While I'm not in favour of a free-for-all where anyone's allowed to walk around toting a machine gun, there are persuasive arguments that can be made against at least some forms of gun-control.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrism)
    While I'm not in favour of a free-for-all where anyone's allowed to walk around toting a machine gun, there are persuasive arguments that can be made against at least some forms of gun-control.
    .......... would you like to elaborate? (or would this take the thread too far off the original point)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrism)
    Well if you look at it logically the less people who own a gun the smaller the amount of people who get shot which is always good

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 3, 2004
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.